Chapter 34 - Past

🎶 Ishq Di Baajiyaan - Reprise

Published on 28.06.2021

● A U T H O R ●

Distance makes the heart grow fonder. But for Aarohi, it hasn't only made her heart fonder of Vihaan but also made her mind go bonkers, her body to act disoriented and her thoughts to be all over the place.

But not anymore.

Vihaan was finally returning and she was waiting for him with bated breath. Just the thought to finally see him in front of her, to touch him, to hug him was sending her mind into a frenzy. Since yesterday, she hadn't been able to talk to him, just few general text messages. That had got her worried if something's wrong but since he was returning today, she hoped it's nothing major. He was supposed to be back home by eight pm but now it has been half past nine and still she was waiting for him. Aarohi was pacing in the living room, tapping her phone on her palm and repeatedly glancing at the wall clock and then at the door impatiently. When he arrives, she'll first jump on him and hug the life out of him and then strangle him to death for taking too long to return.

Her breath got hitched when she heard the doorbell rang. Discarding the phone on the couch, she scurried towards the door, accidentally stubbing her toe at the edge of the table and wincing. Ignoring the pain, she twisted the door knob and opened the main door, a huge grin spreading across her face instantly as her eyes took in his frame. There he was in front of her, his eyes weary yet piercing into hers intensely but something seemed off. He didn't smile. He looked uneasy as if wanting to tell so much yet couldn't form a word. Wanting to take away all that was weighing him down, she stepped forward to hug him but halted when she saw his driver Saket appear behind him with bags in his hand and a woman who came and stood beside Vihaan, casting her gaze downwards and wringing her fingers nervously. Aarohi frowned.

"Sir, where should I keep these bags?" Saket asked Vihaan.

"Just shift them to the guest room," Vihaan replied in a montone and Aarohi moved aside to make space.

Aarohi looked at the whole ordeal in confusion and then turned to Vihaan when Saket left, silently asking for an explanation.

"She's Tina," Vihaan said and Aarohi looked at the woman concerned who wore a peach colored one-piece knee length dress and gave her a small awkward smile which she returned with the same awkwardness.

"It's a long story. I'll explain you in a while. Yeah?"

Aarohi noticed how tense Vihaan looked and as much as she wanted to ask him innumerable questions, she knew it was better not to. So she simply nodded.

"You look tired. I'll show you, your room." Aarohi looked at Tina who glanced at Vihaan but sighed when he didn't look at her. Aarohi led Tina to the guest room.

"My room is just opposite you. If you need anything, I'll be there. I'll bring something to eat." Aarohi offered politely.

"Thanks." Tina smiled although the question why Vihaan and Aarohi didn't share the same room swirled in her mind.

Aarohi sighed when she came back and saw Vihaan sitting on the couch with his elbows propped on the table and head resting over his intertwined fingers. She went to the kitchen and brought a glass of water, placing it on the table, she settled down beside him. Vihaan startled when she touched his shoulder. He snapped his head towards her and without any warning enveloped her in a desperate hug. Aarohi exhaled sharply, bringing her arms around to hold him, rubbing his back with her hand in a slow pace.

"I know you might be having a lot of questions but I really don't know from where do I start," Vihaan said guiltily pulling away.

"It's okay," Aarohi whispered handing him the glass of water. "Take your time."