Chapter 10 - Engagement Disaster

Published on 06.04.2021

● A U T H O R ●

It's crazy how inspite of being surrounded with people, that too with the ones who wish well for you, you find yourself all alone. Nothing cheers you up neither distracts you. Vihaan and Aarohi found themselves in the midst of this. Songs were playing in the background, people gathered were chattering happily, there was brightness and colour all around them yet they didn't hear any of these voices, neither saw anything other than blankness and chaos.

If Aarohi felt incapable of feeling any emotion, Vihaan was overwhelmed with the plethora of emotions he felt.

Cladded in a navy blue coloured lehanga with a portion of hair swept on one side over her shoulder and few familiar people on either side, she walked down the stairs to make her way towards the stage where her to be fiancè stood talking with someone. Vihaan, himself wore a white knee length kurta with a navy blue jacket over it radiating royalty at its best.

His eyes fell over the entrancing beauty that had captivated not only his but everyone's attention present in the hall walking towards him, for him. Aarohi looked resplendent. Accompanied by her mother and Kiara, she stepped beside him still having her gaze on the floor. Did he vow something sometime back about not giving a damn!? Well, chuck it because the woman beside him was worth every denial.

"Hello." He said slowly. The day had been pretty eventful and overwhelming for him and a major reason was her but yet now when he feels a lot more calm, the reason is her.

"Hmm."

He frowned. What's her problem!?

This has to be the third time that Aarohi had spoken since the time she arrived. The first was answering to the questions on why she was late by saying that she'd got an important phone call and that consumed her time. The second was when her mother asked her discreetly in a gentle manner noticing how her daughter seemed so unusual her normal self to which Aarohi replied that she was overthinking. Her mother didn't prod further but just said softly raking a loving hand through her hair that 'everything will turn out to be good'. There were many questions which everyone wanted answers to but Aarohi silently ignored them and they didn't push much since they were already running late.

Vihaan could feel himself getting annoyed again and he wondered what should he say next. Amrit and Smriti were the host of the evening. Only close friends and relatives along with few photographers were invited for the ceremony. Media was strictly prohibited. Akash and Rakesh came forward and thanked the guests for gracing the auspicious occasion for their children with their presence.

The rings were exchanged, cheers and claps were heard, blessings were showered but the two most important people remained completely incognizant about it. Aarohi again was avoiding him and that hurt him. But what Vihaan failed to notice was it wasn't just him, she was avoiding everyone. Aarohi felt too tired to even look up into people's eyes and flash a fake smile. Involving herself in a conversation with them doesn't even count. But was that an option? Apparently no.

People started coming towards them to congratulate and have a little chat with the newly engaged couple. Aarohi fiddled with her dupatta trying desperately to give them an impression that she's least interested so they could leave her alone while Vihaan acted polite and chivalrous.
Aarohi's actions riled him up.

"Could you be graceful enough to smile back at people?" He chastised, whispering.

She looked at him but before she could reply Kevin and Kiara came and hugged them.

"Congratulations guys!" Kevin chirped and Kiara mimicked the same. Vihaan smiled.

Kiara had observed Aarohi's eccentric behavior but didn't get an opportunity to talk about it. "You okay?" She enquired.