Chapter 39 - Surprise

🎶 Darasal

Published on 22.07.2021

● A U T H O R ●

Aarohi woke up in the middle of the night around 1 am. Not finding Vihaan near her, a frown instantly made its way on her face. Rubbing her eyes to wash away the sleep from them and pulling the duvet aside, she got up and straightened her loose peach coloured top. She looked for him in the kitchen and living room but not finding him there, she made her way to the study room.

There he was sitting on the desk chair, working on his laptop in front of him with complete concentration. Aarohi leaned against the side jamb of the door and crossed her arms, watching her husband with the same concentration that he gave to the laptop. As if sensing her presence, Vihaan turned his face to look towards the door. An amused smile stretching across his face at her sight.

"You ditched me alone on the bed for the laptop." She commented playfully, walking towards him.

Vihaan craned his neck and narrowed his eyes. "I had a call to make to a New York client and some emails to send to him. I figured out that you can't fall asleep without your favorite personal pillow so I waited for you to sleep and then left to complete my remaining work." He explained with a slight smug.

Aarohi rolled her eyes, leaning a little to have a closer look at the MacBook screen. "That's so considerate of you," she says sarcastically although a small smile still managed to creep on her lips. "Anyways," she looked at Vihaan, "do you need some help?"

"I'm almost done but...." Vihaan looked around him and picked up a bundle of papers lying on the table, "can you put these papers in the file?" He pointed to the shelf in the far off corner of the room. "The yellow file in the second cabinet from left." He instructed.

"Fine." Aarohi took the pile of papers and walked to the shelf, crouching down to open the cabinet while Vihaan resumed checking the emails.

"Remember the business party we attended day before yesterday," Vihaan started catching her attention.

"Hmm." Aarohi answered, most of her attention on arranging the papers in order to place in the file.

"The high slit dress you wore, I know you weren't comfortable in them." He added, making Aarohi confused as to what he was implying so she waited for him to speak more. "You don't have to do something you don't like just to fit in. You don't usually wear such gowns and you wore it because of me, because almost every woman who attended the party was dressed in some sophisticated manner. But...but you don't need to do any of these. You don't have to change yourself for me." He said softly, closing the MacBook and putting it in the bag.

Aarohi stood up after keeping the file back in its place and made her way to the wooden desk. She leaned against the front, her palms holding the edge, forcing Vihaan to look up into her eyes from the chair.

"Assumptions are dangerous Mr. Vihaan Agarwal." She said in a deep voice. "I didn't wear the dress to fit in the crowd. Neither am I changing myself for you because I know and I'm assured that you accept me for who I am and love me with all my imperfections. I just wanted to try something different, something out of my comfort zone, although I soon realized that it wasn't very comfortable." She smiled sheepishly.

Vihaan chuckled hearing that as a wave of relief coursed through him at her words. He would never want Aarohi to do something that she doesn't like, for him or because of him. He doesn't want her to feel obliged to do something that she doesn't generally do just because she's in love with him. He means it when he says that he likes her the way she is, even if that means she's being annoying or stubborn, even if she hardly puts much effort in dressing up or to look beautiful, even if she prefers to sleep empty stomach than to cook something for herself. Till the time she's happy, he's happy.