Chapter 27 - Pain

Published on 22.05.2021

● A U T H O R ●

"Why did you pick the phone so late?" Aarohi shouted once Vihaan picked up her call.

"My ears will bleed. Don't shout." Vihaan rebuked harshly. "And when did few rings become picking a call too late?" He huffed.

"Forget it." She waved her hand in dismissal although he couldn't see it. "Guess what."

"What? Why do you sound so happy?" He asked, confused.

"Because I'm very very very happy. Now guess the reason." Aarohi said stubbornly, slamming her fist lightly on her desk.

"I won't." He deadpanned. "Tell me directly or cut the call."

"You're so boring." She rolled her eyes. "I got a promotion and now I'm the chief in paediatrics." She said gleefully, excitement dripping from her tone.

"That's- that's awesome!" He exclaimed, pleasantly surprised, "congratulations." He reflected her excitement and Aarohi's happiness grew ten folds on hearing his chirpy tone.

"I feel so proud of you." Vihaan grinned.

"Thank you." Aarohi responded, blushing slightly. "So where's my treat?"

"Madam, you're the one who got promoted so technically you should treat me with a treat." Vihaan scoffed.

"Fine fine. तुम भी क्या याद रखोगे!" (What will you remember too) she said nonchalantly as if doing some sort of favour on him. "I'm free. Pick me up." She ordered.

He looked at his phone in incredulity before placing it back on his ear. "From when did I start taking orders from you?"

"So you aren't going to come for me?" She feigned a sad voice.

Vihaan sighed. This women surely knew how to make him dance to her tunes. "Wait outside. I'll be there in sometime."

Aarohi hopped into the passenger seat when Vihaan halted the car in front of her. Without a second thought, she turned on the radio and leaned back on her seat. Vihaan couldn't hold back his smile looking at her exhilaration. Her happiness was contagious. It had the power to lit up a whole room, the vibes she radiated could cheer up any gloomy person.

"How did everyone else react?" He asked while driving the car.

Aarohi frowned. "Who everyone? I haven't yet told anyone except you." She admitted in a small voice. That's when she realized that as soon as she got the good news, the first person who came into her mind was Vihaan, no best friend or brother or parents but her husband. When did he become so important?

Vihaan felt his heart slamming against the ribcage wanting to break its confines and maybe just rush into her arms. He glanced at her for a split second to find her gaze casted down. To feel important to someone, to feel like a priority to someone is a beautiful feeling. It's been long since he felt that and to know that Aarohi chose to share such an important news with him out of all people was enough to make him feel at the top of the world.

They reached a posh restaurant and Vihaan parked the car before stepping out and reaching to the other side to open the door for Aarohi like a gentleman.

"You don't have to do that." Aarohi rolled her eyes yet held his forwarded hand and stepped out.

"It's a Chinese restaurant!" Aarohi exclaimed as they walked inside the main door.

"Chinese is your favorite." Vihaan casually mentioned looking around for a nice place to sit.

Aarohi was surprised to know that he remembered it. The guy never fails to amaze her. He observed the littlest things about her. Not only that, he makes her feel special. Considers her  choices, keeps her comfort above his so many times, values her opinions, respects her boundaries and he does that all by himself without any expectations. She wondered how a man could be so perfect and if not perfect, he has to be closest she has witnessed to perfection.