Chapter 3 (revised 06/06/2023)

As I walked back toward my temporary room for the past week, my mind drifted to the past again.

Flashback begins

The following Monday, the class was all sitting in the auditorium. We had the dean, several teachers, several students, my parents, Alpha Solomon Abraham (my alpha), and even the judges from last week. I was excited that I was in the top 4 at this time.

I saw Professor Coleman walk to the center of the stage, "Hello, today we have a special debate set up. As you entered, everyone should have received a ballot. Once the debate is over, you are requested to vote for whom you feel won the debate. All votes will be dropped off in the boxes marked DEBATE VOTES. The ballots will be tallied up by my student aids.

The one with the most votes will get 100 points. The second place will earn 90 points.  The third will get 80 points, and the fourth will get 70 points.  The judges get up to 100 points per presentation made. Their points will be added to the audience's votes. This means each debating person can receive up to 500 points.

You will then be dismissed for a four-hour break. You are encouraged to eat lunch while votes are tallied. Then will report back here afterward to have the winners announced. Oh, if you're a member of any of my classes, you are to write up a one-page report on who you voted for and why you felt they won the debate. Turn in that paper to my aid as you return. It must be turned in before the winner is announced. Once winners are announced, you will get 30% taken off for being late." He looked around the auditorium and then introduced the judges. Four people came and sat at the table.

He then announced four Seniors who were part of the university debate team. He went and sat down in the auditorium, and the judges took over.

"As Professor Coleman said, I am one of the judges for this debate. The topic for today is 'Who is the most misunderstood person and why.' I have been informed that 4 hours ago, you were given a 10-to-15-page report written by four students of Professor Coleman's communication class. You can only use those reports to make your argument. You were told to write a 3-minute summary to support why this person is the most misunderstood. Once you have shared your summary of the person you represent, we will have open questions from each judge. Do you understand?"

They all four answered, "Yes, sir." I sat there listening to the other three summaries, and then it was time for me to hear the summary about myself.

Debater 4: "I am only an 18-year-old female, and the males of my species feel I should be barefoot and pregnant. Since I did not find my mate when I shifted, some felt I should be assigned a mate, but I am now in university because my alpha supported my free will. I have had people in my pack look at me strangely when I choose to attend school; I have been training with other species; and my pack warriors on how to fight. The other species thought it strange that I chose this route instead of being the traditional she-wolf. But I am not a traditional girl. When I asked others about personality traits, I was told repeatedly: straightforwardness, confidence, warm, caring person, quick to anger, quick to forgive, and loving. It was amusing to see when my species was asked where they saw me five years from now. They saw me at home raising pups, but other species saw me as one of the best warriors. One who could take on seconds and third commands and defeat them and have a pup. I then taught young pups and youth the art of offensive and defensive fighting. I am not interested in defeating any commands, but I am interested in teaching. I am definitely the most misunderstood by my species because I am going against tradition."

Judge 1: "This is the part where each judge will ask a question. You cannot hear the question or your opponent's answer. I want each of you to put on your headset so you cannot hear the question asked by judges or the answers from your opponent's response. You each will have 60 seconds to respond. You will get deducted 1 point for each second over the 60 seconds. Now put your headsets and blindfolds on until your shoulder is tapped to remove them. Debater 2, please leave yours off." They do as requested.