027

chapter twenty seven
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
iv. water 7 arc

Shoto Todoroki used his ice to freeze the incoming hands from beneath him, and from those attempted actions, it was clear to him now that Robin was indeed trying to attack and bring harm to him. They were not comrades in this battlefield-- which is Iceberg's office.

"Stop being so persistent, Shoto." Robin hissed, and by her tone, the heterchromatic could immediately tell that she too was in distress.

However, he didn't stop. How could he? He didn't train all these years, going through struggles-- just to soften when he's obviously fighting a former crewmate who seems less than hesitant.

Shoto, however, didn't try to communicate with her. He didn't know what he could gain by exchanging words with her, asking her why she was doing what she was doing. Not when there was another unknown enemy merely standing by the doorway as if their dispute was child's play.

He had to be cautious.

Robin sprouted more of her hands in attempt to grab a hold of Shoto's neck, however, because of how much he moved and jumped around. The walls were also frozen as well.

Meaning her fruit was weaker because she obviously could not last long sprouting from pure ice.

"Robin, I don't know your intentions and what you could gain from doing this, but I hope you're not dragging the whole crew into this." Shoto narrowed his eyes, finally given the short time to release the pent up emotions.

The said person was silent, contemplating her answer. But it didn't take long for her to continue what she had started, readying her arms into position as she activated her fruit once more.

"Chatting in the battlefield? I thought you were better than this." Robin ventures, not a hint of expression in her tone. It made Shoto wince, this was not the same person who reminded him of his warm and loving sister.

This was the person he had met in Baroque Works.

"How long did it take for you to finally realize we were of no use to you?" Shoto didn't care if he was wasting his saliva upon talking to her. He had so many things to ask her, and maybe all of them could help him figure why she was acting like a Villain.

Silence. He received no reply.

"I bet you realized we weren't like the former Organizations you have tricked in the past." The boy resumed, adding more fire to the topic as Robin felt even more desperate to reply and assure him that it wasn't like that at all.

But she had restrictions. One pull from her chains and she was good as gone. Even if the crew somehow held a special place in her life, her desire for survival outweighed such feelings.

She did promise her mother. She did promise the kind former Marine officer. She had to live, or else, what was the reason for their sacrifice?

"You don't have to reply." Shoto coldly said, his white hair suddenly rising up to the chilly wind his ice was bringing. His single grey eye pupil reflecting the temperature he was emitting.

It was absolutely cold.

Robin could nearly chuckle. When was the last time she saw him like this? Right, she never did see him act this way. In fact, she has never seen his fruit play in action before. Did the cold side of his personality come along his right side? She was sure it did not. She was the one causing it, she was feeling guilty.

Just when she saw the boy opening up slowly from his sealed box.

And she had to ruin it in the wrong circumstances. But there was no turning back now, she did this, this was simply her fate, this was her only means of surviving. She was simply an evil manipulator like everyone in the past pictured her as.

"Nico Robin, I suggest you hurry up and get the job done." The other man, who Shoto almost forgot to have existed, spoke up. There was clear irritation in his tone and anyone could tell he was not happy with how the events turned out.

Even from hearing the deep voice, Shoto could not recognize it. Or was the person masking it? Nonetheless, it was infuriating since he still didn't have a single clue on who it is behind the ridiculous mask.

"It's getting too cold here for my liking." The man stepped up, his fancy shoes clicking against the slippery ice as if it wasn't tricky at all. "I didn't expect to meet someone here who had a fruit similar to the Admiral."

Shoto jumped away a good few distance, now noting how Iceberg's breathing was slowly getting out of hand. He had to do this quick and bring him to the nearest hospital. There was no time to waste.

But before he could attack the two people dressed in black, the man had appeared in front of him in less than a second, surprising him. But due to his reflexes, he threw an immediate jab.

However, it had hit the thin air. Realizing the man used his speed again, Shoto then realized just how fast he really was. What kind of technique was that? Or was it a fruit?

The boy looked around with alarmed eyes, trying to trail the blowing air. But then, he felt a tap from behind him. Turning around, he felt the man tuck his fingers underneath his chin and tilted his face to meet his eyes directly.

"Such a waste." The man chastised, clicking his tongue. "If only you didn't decide to set so soon without knowing the levels your ice could reach, then maybe you would of been able to protect your nakama."

Shoto could not tell if it was a taunt or not, but it did made him realize. The levels of his ice? Protect a nakama? Does that mean. . .

But he couldn't waste another penny for his thoughts as he suddenly froze the ground once more, halting the man from his place. It did give him enough time to barge open a window and jump for it though, dragging the injured Iceberg with him.

He also realized he could not beat the man as he is now. He had agility, strength, and a clear head in battle, everything Shoto greatly lacked.

It was wiser to back away for now. Though he did swear it upon himself to bring back Robin with the crew the next time they meet. Seeing the light from a distance, he landed neatly as he slid off his formed ice, throwing Iceberg towards the approaching Shipwrights who were worried for their Mayor.

And as soon as they saw him, they were furious, immediately accusing him as Iceberg's attacker.

Shoto, however, did not have enough time to explain as he ran away, acting even more suspicious. But he did not care. His main goal at the moment as he ran faster than his feet could bring him was to inform the crew.

Whether he's a burden or not. He would not hesitate to help someone in danger, it's just his hero way.