009

chapter nine
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
ii. sky island arc

Shoto Todoroki noticed the life flash before his very eyes, the most valuable memories he has garnered for so many years‐- it made him look back to the days when he used to call people stupid for feeling empathy towards the citizens who are at fault.

But after experiencing reality himself, he understood it all now.

"Shoto," an arm reached out and held him in place, giving the heterochromatic boy enough to time to breathe in and out as he could now see his surroundings. "That's enough."

Zoro noticed the heat forming by the tips of Shoto's red hair, the icy structure starting to mold by his white locks. It was not a good sign, exposing themselves now was not the right option, so he had to stop Shoto somehow.

Oddly enough, Zoro's gesture of pulling him back brought awareness back in Shoto's vision, it reminded Shoto at how he wasn't the only person in this bar. Putting random people at risk was not in his menu today.

Luffy stared curiously in his crewmember's eyes, seeing the familiar hint of adolescence. It reminded him of his brother, Ace. The furious and uncontrolled thoughts and emotions, it was all beaming at once.

"What a bunch of losers." Bellamy snickered loudly, exiting the pub with his crew, laughing at how weak they looked. "The Marines are off with their bounties nowadays."

Though he will never admit it, the look in Shoto's eyes was intimidating as hell. He almost believed that the boy could burn them down right there and then. But he also remembered, what can a kid playing pirate do to him? Looking back at his former thoughts from earlier made him want to laugh.

As soon as they left, Nami went to comfort Shoto even if he wasn't necessarily hurt.

"Are you okay?" Nami asked with concern evident in her eyes. Even if she had only known the boy for a short amount of time, she can't help but feel sympathy for him. After all, he was just a teenager no less.

Shoto nodded, forming a little ice cube in his palm as he placed in on the scar on his face. It was still warm. Past trauma filling him inside as he tried to even his breathing.

Everyone probably figured it out by now. It has something to do with the scar of course. But questioning him now would only make him more uncomfortable, so they dismissed that idea.

"Can we return to the ship now?" Shoto asked calmly and politely, his head hanging low. Sharing a look before responding, Luffy nodded.

He, too, was not in the mood as well.

"I think it would be better if we do."

It's been hours.

Looking worriedly at the kitchen door, the crew did their daily things without actually entering the kitchen; something about giving Shoto some space or room. But for those who didn't come with him in the pub, they were utterly confused.

"What's wrong?" Sanji decided to ask the million dollar question, curious on why he-- the chef-- can't enter his own kitchen to prepare food.

"Well. . ." Nami trailed off.

"It's none of your business, you shitty cook." Zoro remarked. He just wasn't the biggest fan of the blonde haired cook in particular. But before the two of them could continue on bickering forward, Nami bonked both of their heads with her angry fists.

"Shut it, you two."

Luffy sat comfortably on the head figure of his ship, looking deeply into the sea before facing his nakamas.

"Was it because of the beer?" He asked, not aware of the real reason on why Shoto snapped back there. Was it because he hated alcohol? But he should have grown used to Zoro's habit of drinking sake by now.

"Partially." Nami shrugged.

"Do explain." Usopp started, fingers caressing his chin in a detective-like manner.

"Well. . ." Luffy recalled the former events. "Bellamy, the big jerk, rubbed alcohol on Shoto's face. Then Shoto snapped, he started to use his devil fruit but Zoro stopped him in time. The look in his eyes told me that he wasn't really conscious that time." The rubberman tried to explain the best way he could.

A moment of silence reached the whole crew.

"Which part of his face exactly?" Robin spoke up, getting all of their attention as they stared in confusion.

"Does it matter?"

"Of course. People tend to act that way especially if the action put holds past trauma. That must explain his reaction." Robin explained, earning several looks of realization.

"You have a point, Robin!" Chopper exclaimed.

"Past trauma? That must explain why Shoto reacted that way because Bellamy rubbed his scar believing it was fake."

"Yikes." Sanji cringed visibly. "Rubbing a scar? That's stepping off the line. Why did you even allow it, you stupid mosshead?"

Zoro reacted fast at the insult.

"Shut up, you twirly brows." He then sat down. "I didn't think much of it, I never thought that it was a trigger point for the kid."

"What if I rubbed your scar? How would you react?" Sanji tested.

"I would smash your head on the fucking railings, you idiot." Zoro glared.

Nami came in between them, holding their ears tightly before twisting it very harshly. It earned pained yelps from the two as they jumped away and rubbed their red ears.

"Exactly, Zoro."

"What're you trying to prove, woman?" Zoro demanded furiously at how Nami was constantly attacking him that day. "You were just standing there like a damsel in distress too."

Let's just say that Zoro had enough bumps on his head to match a mountain at that remark.

Ignoring them, Luffy looked down.

"Past trauma? I didn't know. . . I shouldn't have dragged Shoto into this after all." As soon as those words left his mouth, there was suddenly a movement by the top railings.

It was Shoto. He was leaning forward in a relaxing manner, his eyes focused in their figures as the wind swept his hair to the side.

"Maybe I haven't been so honest lately." The boy admitted, standing straighter now as he could see the island of their destination within their reach. "There's been a few things I haven't opened up to you yet, right? And having secrets between the crew can never promote a healthy relationship."

Perhaps it was the time he should confess just how inordinary he was.