036

chapter thirty six
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
vi. thriller bark arc

Luffy picked up the barrel with the use of his rubber arms, stretching it until it landed on the wooden decks of their ship. Almost instantly, everyone surrounded the odd-looking barrel. It looks broken at best.

"What's this?"

"I've read something about green bottles floating in the sea. It's a sign of the death omen, basically bad luck." Shoto stated, folding his arms against his chest.

"If it has sake in it, then let's drink it." Zoro suggested. He earned a karate chop from the tangerine haired woman as she shook her head.

"Absolutely not. Do you want to die?" She held her first with a sadistic look, making everyone deadpan at the sight. Zoro was definitely not going to die because of the bad omen, he was gonna die by Nami's hands.

Shoto chose to clear his throat to ease the tension.

"I suggest we put it back, the skull usually attracts enemy pirates to end us." He told, remembering how he spent his nights studying the pirate beliefs and signs.

It did not disappoint. Especially when the library that Franky built was such a nice escape for peace.

"Hey, we should put it back." Shoto's eyes dropped in disbelief as he watched Luffy and Zoro do the work, taking little sips from the barrel, making the swordsman release a breath with a satisfied look.

They disregarded the fireworks that suddenly lit up.

"This sake is good!"

"And so will be death." Shoto mumbled.

"Oh, stop it, you're being too paranoid, Shoto." Luffy assured his crewmate, grinning widely before allowing Zoro to down the whole barrel.

Shoto clicked his tongue. "Whatever, just exchange the sake with a new one and we'll all be fine."

"I didn't think you were the type to believe in omens, Shoto-san." Robin told with a hint of amusement, leaning against the palm of her hand as she watched the boy turn away, looking around the sea before calmly seating himself by the bench across everyone.

"I usually don't." He bluntly replied. "It's just in this sea, I don't think anything is impossible. I'm still learning about this world so I can't be too careless with all the information I have."

"I see, you abandoned the logical thinking you had in your previous world. . . ?"

"You can say that. I like to think that the only way to survive here is to have an open mind to everything. That's all."

"That's a good start to handle an unfamiliar world. And I'm quite impressed you're not the slightest bothered that you suddenly appeared here." Robin pointed out her amazement.

Shoto was talented in dealing situations calmly. "I'm impressed too." He softly said under his breath.

Robin only smiled.

"Done!" Luffy exclaimed as he threw away their own barrel of sake after replacing the one in the barrel they found. "This is kinda fun." He said, happy to know pirates were exchanging sakes all around the grand line seas.

"We entered a forbidden zone. I'm not surprised if the sake you drank is a century old." Shoto retorted, sitting back with his arms behind his head, relaxing as slowly grew accustom to the dark skies and seas. He was about to close his eyes when the Captain suddenly latched onto him.

"Really?!"

"Yes, now get off of me." Shoto stood up, trying to shake off the younger boy who was too busy latching on him like a leech while trying to barf the sake he just took a sip of.