028

chapter twenty eight
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
iv. water seven arc

The exhausted heterochromatic collapsed by the shore as he felt his breath running thin. He ran towards here like his life depended on it and he only came to know he was too late.

The shore was empty. Not even the going merry was there.

He sighed, feeling the dryness of his throat seeping in. He formed his fist into a hand, remembering earlier's events where he was completely helpless. He couldn't even face Robin properly, let alone go into battle against the unknown masked man.

He stood up, ready to run some more, but before he could take another step, he saw the guys from Galley-la, panting as they pointed an accusing finger.

"You, traitor, you're gonna pay for what you did to Iceberg-san!"

Shoto was taken aback. Right, he didn't make things clear yet. He then shook his head, flailing his arms as he tried to process the right words and to get enough breath of air.

"No, there's a misunderstanding." Shoto told reassuringly. "The culprits, I believe, is among you shipwrights." He internally winced, he worded it wrong.

"Huh?! You dare accuse us of turning our backs on Iceberg-san?"

"No, no, no—"

"No more words, kid, we know what you did. We'll take you to the authorities and avenge Iceberg-san."

Shoto cursed internally, to hell with them, he tried to explain but they're barely giving him a chance to do so. He looked at his back, noticing he was surrounded.

There was only one choice left of him now.

He jumped into the sea, the shallow part. And watching as he dived in without being hesitant made the shipwrights grit their teeth. They couldn't come after him now, after all, the big wave will come soon.

And having to play tag underwater seemed like a waste of time. They'll just have to report back to Paulie.

After all, what can that little boy do with sea kings lurking deep. There was a reason why they avoided that part.

Luffy punched Franky, pushing him to the water road before trying to continue on running towards the building. However, the official shipwrights blocked their way.

A very pissed off Paulie scowled.

"You're not going to finish what you started on Iceberg-san, Pirate." The blonde spat out, hateful.

Luffy was confused because he knew his intentions were not to go to the mayor but to chase after his nakama, Robin, and to also find Shoto.

However, the other lower ranked shipwrights approached Paulie, Lucci, and the rest.

"Sir, the boy with weird half hair, the one you told us to chase, jumped off the shore, sir. We were unable to chase after him."

Luffy's eyes visibly widened. Shoto jumped off? But he's a devil fruit user. . .

His other crewmembers who hid behind the tree were equally as surprised. They never took Shoto as the reckless type to go to the only thing they devil fruit users are weak against.

Lucci perked up but it went unnoticed. He knew the boy possessed two devil fruits, he stated himself during that night. . . And he was interested on how luck will play out this time.

Luffy could only clench his fist as he and the crew thought of one thing.

Please be safe, Shoto.

Shoto pulled his head out of the water as he breathed, only realizing now at how he missed swimming. Nonetheless, he was too tired to do a freestyle, so instead, he floated on his back.

When was the last time he had peace like this? Being constantly around people really changed his usual agenda of being alone. And only now did he once again return to the isolated feeling.

He still can't help but wonder.

Is this really what he seeks for? Last time he checked, he was an aspiring hero. He shouldn't be a pirate. But after having a taste of what it feels like to be free for once, when the chains weren't as suffocating, he can't help but enjoy it.

Never did he live like this before. Living with only the importance of what he wanted to do. It was a good change.

He was thirsty though, and salt water wasn't drinkable.

Seeing an unknown door by a distance, he swam that way, welcoming himself as he saw somewhat a safe shelter.

"Huh? Who are you?"

The one with bright blue hair was visibly startled as he suddenly got up from his comfortable seat, pointing an accusing finger at the younger male.

"I should I ask you that!"

"Eh?! Shoto?"

"Usopp?"

By now, everyone was confused. And while it should be a hopeful reunion between two former crewmates, Franky didn't give space for them to catch up.

"You!" He pointed at Shoto. "How did you enter my secret base?"

"Umm, there was a door, and it wasn't locked. Of course, it means I'm invited, right?" Shoto innocently told. After all, he did get used to no house entry rules, but this was not a house in any way.

"No."

"Shoto, how are you?" Usopp pushed Franky out of the way, greeting the young male who eased up at the sight.

"Fine, how 'bout you?"

"Oi! This is not a place for a touching reunion!" Franky exclaimed.

They ignored him as always.

"Why aren't you with the crew, Shoto?" Usopp asked curiously, taking a seat by the side as he pushed the toolbox for more space.

The said boy scratched the back of his neck. "Well, I was meaning to find them, but when I came to the shore, they weren't there anymore. And so is the Going Merry."

"Huh, that's weird, you should have been able to catch up when it was not long before they left."

"Well. . ."

"You fell asleep on the way, didn't you?" Usopp arched a brow, seeing the look flash on Shoto's face. So he nodded knowingly.

"I guess I forgot that part."

With a sigh, the long nose shook his head in disapproval. "You're overworking yourself, Shoto, that's not good. Your arms haven't even fully healed yet."

"No, it's actually fine now." The heterochromatic denied.

"When did Chopper tell you?"

Silence. Shoto then looked away.

"See?" Usopp went to flail his arms all around the place for more dramatic effects. "You haven't even let Chopper check it out."

"Tomorrow is the due time, I just need to change bandages and add medication."

"Oi, now that you mentioned it. How the hell did you swim all the way here? Aren't you a devil fruit user?" Usopp gestured towards the soaked bandages and clothing.

Oh well, what's the best excuse Shoto can come up with now?

"Can I at least have some water first?" He sheepishly asked.