068

chapter sixty-eight
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
xiii. punk hazard arc

Usopp made a very special assignment.

He made cut out boards to differentiate the switched crewmembers. Where he got the materials from was beyond Shoto but if it means making the recognition a lot more easier, then he was up for it.

"Chopper looks funny." Luffy giggled, looking at the faces the reindeer was making. It was very Franky-like, only because it was Franky himself who got switched in the reindeer's body.

Brownbeard grumbled behind him, still tied to him like a prisoner.

"I hate those who make up the Worst Generation." He grunted, cleary unhappy. He was indicating that he hated Luffy too. "I lost my crew and legs thanks to Basil Hawkins. Wounded up in Punk Hazard and it was once filled with a green scenery and a research facility for Vegapunk who creates weapons and drugs for the military. Some prisoners were even brought here in this island instead of the prison for experimentation."

It was cruel, Shoto could see that. Experimentation against your will, the devastation as it alters your body-- he can understand it well despite not having plenty experience with it. But although they were criminals, Shoto can still see how horrifying it can be as you experience it firsthand.

"Around four years ago, a chemical experiment failed and destroyed two of the three labs which make up the ruins of the island. The gas released from the explosion killed the plant life and the laboratories' personnel fled, leaving behind the prisoners. Those that were in the untouched facility survived and holed up there but those unlucky few on the outside were paralyzed from the legs down by the nerve gas. Then one year later, our master, Caesar, appeared, cured them of the poison with his powers and made devices that allowed them to float off the ground."

It was a lot to take in. Literally. It was amazing how Brownbeard managed to say that all without losing air.

They can see why they are so loyal now, in a way, he was their savior. They were now just a little bit curious on who Caesar is exactly.

"I ended up in this island after my crew was wiped out. As I had given up, I then met Caesar. And not long after, Trafalgar joined too, he replaced our limbs with animals' body parts. The dragon there, it was by Vegapunk, created to protect Punk Hazard, it can adapt to any environment." Brownbeard finishes.

Shoto didn't have the guts to say that they actually got rid of the dragon.

"Caesar is doing the research for humanity, and you too will be captured soon and will be turned to specimen." The centaur said with utter conviction that Shoto couldn't gather the heart to break it to him that he wasn't going to allow that to happen to his crew.

Standing up, the heterochromatic grew tired of crouching down and idly listening to Brownbeard's awfully long monologue. Did he want action? He certainly does. And he wants answers too.

As Sind explained about the candies, everyone was stunned to hear it. Even Brownbeard who's only an outdoor patrol who believes Caesar is only doing what's good for the children. Chopper demanded answers but no one could provide them.

"It was NHC10 that I found in their system, it's highly addictive when given in a larger dose. I surmise that Caesar gave those candies to stop them from running away, giving them something to come back for." Chopper explains, causing Shoto to breathe in sharply.

Larger dose? Meaning Caesar has been knowingly giving those drugs away to children in a rather long period of time.

"I should get the candies from the facility then?" Luffy suggested, noticing their sudden crave for it. "To ease it."

"Yes! Yes! Luffy-san, please do!" Sind begs.

"No. I won't allow for them to take those drugs anymore." The doctor firmly refuses. Sind suddenly becomes angry and desperate.

"No, Luffy-san, you should! Please! Please take the candies!" Sind pleads, growing more aggressive as soon as he saw that Luffy was standing by Chopper's decision.

Sind was becoming violent and as well were the other giant kids. Usopp deduced that he was strong because he was a giant but the other kids said that he wasn't always of that size before, he and the others were more normal. The bigger they are means the longer they were there taking the drugs and whatever check ups.

They all were shocked by the discovery.

Who's Caesar? What's his goal? And why is Law involved with him somehow? He gets the gut feeling that it's a dangerous route to take but he'll willingly go in the facility and cause havoc just to get answers. Curiosity was eating him alive, and seeing the children who are made addicted to drugs-- he's afraid Caesar isn't a great man as how Brownbeard makes him out to be.

Experimenting on children, keeping them captive by the false lie of curing them-- he can't allow his ridiculous and cruel schemes to continue.

"Don't think about straying paths again." Nami spoke up, noticing how Shoto was more quiet than usual. "I know you wish for progress as soon as possible but it's safer to stick together in this weather than to blindly charge."

Shoto furrowed his brows. She was right, and it disappointed him that the situation was limiting his way of thinking. He had so many options, he can charge, he can play ninja, he can gather information-- but nothing will work if he continues to insist on his own. He needs them.

"I don't think staying here for any longer is any more ideal," Shoto started, making the crew look at him and Nami, were they having a plan without them? "If we continue to hide here with the children, they'll find us eventually-- I'm afraid they already have and are planning to ambush us at this moment as we talk."

"Then what are you suggesting we do?" Robin interrogated, interested to hear what the boy had in plan this time.

"I say we split to groups, reduce to smaller numbers so that they can't catch us all in one go. It's like hitting two birds with one stone if we continue to hide like this. Split to groups, find more hiding spots, gather information, communicate through snail phones, drive their numbers away, and then barge in the facility as soon we get the opportunity-- we reunite and make sure we have everyone who can fight." Shoto stated, thumb on his chin as he considers it multiple more times.

"It doesn't sound so bad but don't you think they'll hold us back?" Usopp whispered quietly, gesturing to the children who all stares curiously at them. "If they throw another tantrum, we're all done for."

"Give them faux candy, somethings sweet enough to keep them on bay. And then we can turn them in to the G5 marines, Smoker and Tagishi more specifically-- I think they'll be trustworthy enough to keep them safe." Shoto said, until he saw Chopper's thinking face.

"Drugs don't have the same effect as candy. It won't work." The doctor insists, genuine about it.

"Vitamin C." Shoto suggested, "Like, fake it 'till we make it, right?"

"I don't know. . ." The doctor hesitantly shook his head. "Vitamin C doesn't necessarily make someone addicted to it."

"It doesn't have to be necessary. It'll ease the craving for the meantime." Shoto replied.

"Or you have painkillers." Franky suggested, seeing the offended look on Chopper's face, well, not his face.

"You don't give children painkillers for no reason, Franky."

"We'll deal with it when we get there." Shoto suddenly spoke up once more, getting their attention as they follow his gaze as he looks carefully at the snow on top of the boulder. "First, we deal with whatever that is." And in cue, the ground vibrated.