075

chapter seventy-five
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
xiii. punk hazard arc

Back at the main lab, Law has gotten inside to find only Monet by herself and in the company of Shoto who was uncharacteristically being chatty. It was a forced conversation as he could observe.

Shoto was forcing himself to speak more than warranted despite his lack of social skills, and yet, Monet seemed astounded by what he had to say, perhaps under the influence of how soft-spoken and decent he was compared to the other people she was surrounded with.

"Monet," Law spoke up, interrupting the two much to the girl's displeasure. It was the first time she was actually interested in a conversation with someone who was similar to her and could maybe understand her. "I'm thinking of departing. I need your ability to help with something." He excused.

His lie was not clear with his poker face and stoic mannerisms.

Monet agrees and stands up, moving away from Shoto's cage, following the surgeon out. Law casts the heterochromatic one last glance before exiting the room.

As they exit the room, Chopper, who was hidden in a bag, watches them go. 

"Shoto!" The little reindeer popped out and went to run towards Shoto who was confined in a sea-stone cage, upon reaching the cage, Chopper was forced to take a step back-- vulnerable to the effects of the particular mineral.

"Chopper." Shoto was pleasantly surprised to see his crewmate.

"Shoto!" Chopper cried out in worry as he spots his crewmate inside a cage (which he may add was not an ideal sight to see). And the worst part? He didn't know what to do to help because he, himself, is vulnerable to the stone. "Did Law really let you get held captive?"

"It was my idea." Shoto assured, not wanting any misunderstandings to ensue.

"Why would you?" The doctor asked in concern.

"I assumed it was the only way to get in without making them suspect top much." The heterochromatic shrugged off before sitting back. "The stone has no effect on me and I can leave anytime if I want to."

"Ah, right," Chopper breathed in relief, a little smile climbing over his face. "I forgot you're not a devil fruit user." The reindeer a chuckle.

An inevitable smile wormed its way over Shoto's face. Chopper was adorable, he can see why Law was more tolerant to their doctor than to the rest of their crew.

A thud interrupted them and Shoto could hear a commotion from outside the facility. "Someone's. . . Fighting." He frowned, his mind wandering. He was suspecting their Captain to be source of all the noises from outside.

The fight was already starting without him.

"What's taking Law so long?" Chopper pointed out, remembering the original plan had only been to lure out the green-haired woman of snow.

"He must be busy." Shoto shrugged off.

Law doubled over in pain, feeling the shock of pain overwhelming his body as he tries to recollect himself quickly and rather forcefully. But inevitably, he fell over the floor, clutching the nonexistent pain over his heart that was devoid of the physical organ.

Before him was a man dressed in a white cozy coat, his beard and mustache patterned, and a violet necktie sticking out from his warm clothing. He was staring down at Law who was still digesting the situation with a pained grunt.

In his hand, he held Law's heart that was contained in almost translucent box, beating erratically from the shortage of breath and sudden pain.

"You've grown since the last time I saw you."