073

chapter seventy-three
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
xiii. punk hazard arc

Shoto was dragged inside the faculty.

Law could not afford leaving even the slightest bruise on the boy since he knows how the crew would go berserk. That was why he settled with the lie that he simply captured Shoto with the effortless tool of his devil fruit.

The moment he brought the heterochromatic, Caesar beamed with happiness.

"You captured one?"

"Found him walking around the island and could not pass on the opportunity." Law calmly stated.

Caesar clasped his hands as he crouched down to Shoto's level, his scrutinizing eyes observing his physical appearance intently as if he could figure out Shoto's entire biography just by looking at him.

"I heard of the myths of a person who could eat more than just one fruit." Caesar began. Why he knew this was simple.

He used to work alongside Vegapunk, and he once overheard the Scientist talk about a particular boy who defies the logic of devil fruits. And the boy? He was said to have two different tones of hair that parted in the middle.

He recalls having captured multiple people who somehow fits the description, but much to his disappointment-- he never really found the one.

"The myth of a person who could eat 2 fruits, split into each side of their body, bearing the coldness of winter and the heat of the sun. They say the person could even swim despite being a devil fruit user!" Caesar exclaimed as if it was absurd. "Tell me, are you the one they're talking about in the myth?"

Shoto furrowed his brows.

Law thought that everyone must have known Shoto and his abilities by now, but it seems like the only one who really knew were those who encountered him firsthand-- living to not tell the tale. He believes the Marines have something to do with this and kept the secret hidden purposely.

They selfishly wanted Shoto themselves, possibly to crack the mystery behind the powers he possessed.

Law wasn't quite sure about the swimming part though.

Shoto looked up at Caesar and casually shook his head. "Not only swim, they could do a freestyle too."

"Then, are you confirming it? Are you really the one?" Caesar looked a little taken aback, but he managed to look composed, driven by his own craze.

"It's two. Please be sensitive, my other side may get offended." Shoto gestured towards the left side of his face.

He was under the guise of being a literally split person, the only excuse he could give the outsiders on why he had 2 abilities. He can't exactly blurt out to everyone he meets that he was born with this power and that he came from a world where quirks were the norm.

"2 sides? Do each have a mind of its own?"

Shoto momentarily organized a plan before nodding. "Sure do." He spoke in a higher pitch, his mouth raising towards the left side to feign as if the left side of his face was talking. "Agreed." He spoke again, in a deeper voice, but this time to the right side of his face.

Everyone in the room were stunned to silence.

"Do you take me for a fool?!" Caesar boomed.

Shoto casually shrugged his tied shoulders. "They were just proving a point."

Law was not so sure to leave Shoto now, who knows what kinds of shenanigans the boy would make up again?

"Monet, bring him inside the sea stone cage." Caesar commanded the flying girl who nodded obediently, dragging the heterochromatic by the ropes wrapped around him.

Law's brows furrowed, a little concerned. The sea stone cage would weaken Shoto, rendering him unable to defend himself. Was this really a good idea? Not to mention, the lack of his heart. . .

"You have the boy's heart, don't you?" Caesar turned to Law, having noticed the literal void in Shoto's chest.

Law nodded.

"Give me."

With a frown, Law calmly refused. "I already gave you the Marine's heart. I'll hold on to this."

Caesar was not too happy.

He was not thoroughly convinced that Law managed to bring in Shoto all by himself. And the heart would have been Law's last proof that he was loyally working for Caesar only.

"Then, give me an exchange." He began.

Law furrowed his brows deeper, anticipating what the gas man had to say next.

"I'm afraid I'm beginning to have doubts about you." Caesar stated bluntly. "How about give me yours instead? I wouldn't do anything to it if you don't give me a reason to."

That's too far!

Shoto knitted his brows together, shaking his head as he glanced at the Warlord.

"Hey, Shichibukai, what are you doing? My heart's obviously more valuable than yours, don't try to compete with me." He told off. He had a meaning behind his words, under the false guise of being competitive.

In reality, Shoto was urging Law to just give in. Caesar having Law's heart in his hold was far more dangerous.

Law didn't mind the looks that Shoto gave him. He was just busy contemplating it.

He shan't even think of giving Shoto's heart away.

Without an ounce of hesitation, Law had taken his own heart and casually handed it over to Caesar who was pleasantly surprised with how the surgeon sacrificed himself.

"I need Macaroni-ya's heart to blackmail the Strawhats myself." He calmly lied, Caesar was still clueless of their newly formed alliance.

Caesar was happy either way. He had a leverage over Law, he was not as invisible as he appears now.

"You," he turned towards Shoto who was patiently sitting crossed-leg inside the sea stone cage. "I'll have many things to ask you, in the meantime, we shall wait for one more guest." Caesar grinned mischievously.

Shoto only shrugged it off.

Law could not ignore it but could do nothing with the vague information.

"Then, I'll take my leave." He said before exiting the room, not without sparing a last glance towards the heterochromatic at the corner of his eyes.

He hopes to carry out the plan smoothly without giving Caesar the upper hand, especially now that the gas man had his physical heart and Shoto himself captive.