061

chapter sixty-one
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
xii. fishman island arc

Before they knew it, they made it.

Well, most of the time-- Shoto was barely paying any attention. 

What made them realize that they made it was when they saw the large sea kings that took in different forms. Not to mention, the mermaids that were all over their surroundings.

Sanji was visibly affected by this.

First thing they did was split up. Yes, they split up for some reason. Or perhaps it was just Shoto being dragged by the current while the rest tried to find Jimbei for assistance. 

Too bad he didn't get to meet the royal people of fishman. Like King Neptune for instance-- he was looking really forward to seeing what he looks in person. Maybe later.

About sea kings, it was really interesting to see a man riding it. Or a fishman. But what he said made Shoto aware of the constant prejudice between races. 

The man said, "Those sinful humans." 

And while most of the strawhats didn't even pay any mind to it. Shoto couldn't get it off his mind. Since Luffy seems to be a magnet for peacemaking-- perhaps they are brought here to solve the prejudices? He's not sure but it sure seems like it.

He still can't phantom how the strawhats themselves can't notice the pattern they flow in.

Plus, including the events about the ride or die situation about the fishman pirate crew, naming their notable achievements such as taking down Arlong and Luffy punching a Celestial Dragon- in which all that Shoto didn't take part in. 

The last he saw of his crew was Sanji getting a nosebleed upon being surrounded by Mermaids, stating how much fun he was-- fuelling his desires to live here. And then Luffy who soaked his feet in water while saying how fun it must be to be able to swim. 

As Luffy was in the midst of being offered to be inside a bubble-- Shoto got himself a little lost.

And what did he find? Caribou's company. Much to his distaste.

The said man was popping out of the barrel, seemingly joyous as he came into conclusion that he was free from the strawhats.

"I heard gold from here can be equivalent to a ton back on the surface." Shoto spoke up, noticing how Caribou was too preoccupied in his thoughts to notice him seated beside the barrel, legs crossed as he placed his hands on his ankles. Simply behaving.

Caribou jumped, startled to see a strawhat pirate. And it had to be the one with the blank bounty. A total mystery.

"Ack! What are you doing here?!" He screeched, finding it unexpected to find the boy in the middle of nowhere beside his barrel.

"I'm a little lost." The heterochromatic admitted. "I thought you would use some company because you seem lost too, as a person."

Shoto was getting personal.

"Are you making fun of me?!" Caribou demanded, fuming ironically. "Listen here-- you may seem like a big shot now that the Admirals acknowledge you, but I won't hesitate to plum you." He paused on his words. "Plumber? Plumber you. No, no-- sounds like a bathroom. Plum you? You're not a fruit either. . ."

The boy was patiently waiting for the man to finish his words, finding it rude to interrupt. But unfortunately, Caribou gave up midway.

"Ah, whatever!" 

Shoto sat up. "Well, to be honest-- I thought you could use some company." He shrugged. Perhaps there was something about Caribou than more on what he lets on? He's not sure but he's here to find out. 

"Company?" He repeated in disbelief. "Don't be ridiculous."

"You're here for money, aren't you? I heard gold from here costs a lot more on the surface. After you failed getting the bounty off our heads, you decided to settle for something else, right?" Shoto interrogated, tapping his chin lightly.

Caribou narrowed his eyes. He could have taken the bounty of his by now, but he remembered how he was unfortunate enough to be around the blank-bounty strawhat. Just his luck.

Meaning if he even attacks Shoto, he wouldn't gain from it. Perhaps holding him hostage? The crew seems to be willing to pay more than enough for their particular crewmember.

As Caribou inches closer with ulterior motives of capturing him, he suddenly felt his whole body freeze. Literally.

He was made into a block of ice, and he could tell his whole body was reacting fast to getting frozen to the bone. He was panicking.

His eyes shot up towards Shoto who seemed a little too calm. The boy casted him a side glance. And there was this glint in his eyes that made Caribou reconsider if Shoto was really as harmless as his bounty.

"Sorry, reflex." He apologized half-heartedly, he definitely knows what he's doing.

In a flash, the ice melted as he placed his palm on the block. And Caribou had never been this relieved in his entire lifetime.

"But you know, I can usually tell if people want my head or not." Shoto started, and the man was still trying to catch his breath, too busy to reply. "They usually pull a face like this."

Caribou casted him a glance and he saw an all-too-familiar face he was imitating.

"Are you trying to look like me?" He couldn't yell this time.

Shoto blinked before nodding. "Yes." He answered. "Because so far, you're the only one interested in capturing me."

The man only grumbled, but after seeing the heterochromatic's innocent gaze on him, he flinched. He was too wary and he promised to be more careful to never experience near-death experiences again.

"What do you need? What do I have to do for you to leave me alone?!"

Shoto looked at him, an unreadable look on his face. Did Caribou finally lose it? 

"Nothing, really." He admitted. "If you want to be left alone then you can go somewhere else. I'm kind of claiming this spot as a space for me to wait at."

Truth to that, he made a circle for himself, waiting to be found by his crew if they ever decide to look for him.

Caribou didn't hesitate any moment before he ran away. He was finally free, he realized. And away from that Macaroni-boy who constantly torments him. 

As Shoto started getting comfortable, he felt some presence behind him. Sensing it unfamiliar, he turned around, seeing a shark?

"Shoto!"

What on earth . . ? A shark that can speak in his Captain's voice? Fishman island sure was strange.