062

chapter sixty-one
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
xii. fishman island arc 

Shoto took a good few minutes to marvel the shark in person. It was a shark at its natural habitat, not produced by some flashy quirk or some sort. This was an actual shark.

"Cool, right?" Luffy grinned at him as soon as he left the mouth of the shark.

Shoto snapped back to reality and nodded firmly. It was very cool that he was totally at a loss for words. But as he now notices, who is that mermaid who stands about 100 times taller than him? Then again, it was not unusual in this world.

From what he heard, the crew even came across literal giants. Giants.

"Uh, hello." Shoto bowed his head slightly to the tall princess who seems like she could burst into tears any time.

"Hi. . ." Her voice even had a hold of whimper at it. It was not hard to see the contrast her appearance had with her personality.

"Shoto, this is Shirahoshi. She's a princess, King Neptune's daughter." Luffy grinned. "And Shirahoshi, this is our youngest crew member, our Macaroni, Shoto."

"It's nice to meet you, Macaroni. . ."

"It's Shoto." The heterochromatic deadpanned, sending his Captain a look before nodding. "And likewise, it's nice to meet you."

"So. . . Shoto, what are you doing there in the middle of nowhere?" Luffy questioned casually, sticking his pinky inside his ear.

"I was lost."

"With Zoro?"

"No, I was naturally lost." Shoto stated. "It's a big place and I was wandering off."

"Oh, well. At least you're back."

"Yes."

As the two exchanged conversations, Shirahoshi stood idly by the side, accompanied by the shark while her wide eyes darted from Luffy to Shoto repeatedly. She wonders what their objective was to be here.

"Umm. . ." She hesitated for a moment.

Two heads turned towards her. Anticipating for her to continue.

But hearing no words utter out from her, Shoto must have felt how she was still uncomfortable by his presence. After all, he was aware of how quiet he was, almost intimidating with the scar and hair. He can't blame her discomfort.

"Luffy-san, where do you think Zoro and the others went?" Shoto spoke up, turning to his captain.

"Uhh. . . I think they went to the ship." Luffy slightly scratched his chin.

"Alright. I'm gonna trace it down." The heterochromatic decided, nodding. "If you do find Jimbei-san again, tell him I said 'hi'."

The rubbery Captain gave a swift nod.

"Okay!" He exclaimed.

It was nice to see him full of energy.

After hours of roaming the island and seeing a variety of people belonging in different sorts, Shoto realized how lovely fishman island truly was. Despite the racism and prejudice acts exchanged between here and the surface, putting all that aside-- these people (or fishes) were lovely.

As he can tell.

But upon being separated from the crew and being unable to find his way through the confusing roads, he was only brought to the current events when he heard an uproar from a distance.