chapter five

The next morning, Ophelia woke up much earlier than her friends, who had decided to sleep in, as school didn't start until the next morning.

She brushed her teeth and her hair, and opened her wardrobe, deciding what she would wear. After a minute of consideration, she decided on a dress well suited for the occasion.

It was a creme off-the-shoulder dress, with a tea-length tulle skirt, and a form-fitted tulle top. She put on a pair of sandals and made her way down the stairs to the common room.

Remus Lupin was waiting for her on one of the red chairs, the early morning sunlight shining through the windows.

He wore a dark green v neck sweater and a turtleneck underneath. He greeted Ophelia with a warm smile and stood up.

"Ready?" he asked.

"Of course! I've really missed these picnics over the summer," sighed Ophelia.

Lupin let out a small laugh and agreed with her.

They set off through the portrait hole and headed down towards the kitchens. They greeted all of the house-elves kindly and requested a bit of food. The house-elves gladly gave them a variety of breakfast foods, including bagels, muffins, and croissants. Remus and Ophelia politely thanked them and set off towards the great lake.

They walked out the doors and Ophelia immediately felt the warm summer air and admired the beauty of the grounds. Miles and miles of nature, forest, lake, fields, and gardens.

They walked into the grass, Ophelia's feet sinking slightly into the soft grass until they made their way into a small clearing with a willow tree, flat ground, and a great view of the lake. Remus took out a blanket from the picnic basket and laid it neatly on the grass. They both sat down on it and started taking out the food.

Ophelia was surprised at how much could fit inside the basket until she realized that Remus had placed an extension charm on it. When they had finished getting everything out, both friends had a ceramic plate, filled with their favorite breakfast foods and pastries. They each had a cup of tea - warmed up with magic of course, and had laid out silverware neatly.

Ever since their second year at Hogwarts, Ophelia and Remus had picnics whenever it was warm out. They got food from the kitchens, and always sat at a different place on the grounds. Every year as a tradition, on the first day back, the pair would wake up early and have a nice brunch outside.

Ophelia and Remus got to know everything about one another from these picnics, as each time was spent with hours of talking. If they weren't talking, Remus would read a few chapters of a book out loud, and Ophelia would lay in the grass listening, as images of the scenes flowed through her head, as if she was a character in the book.

Remus shared his worries about the school year, and Ophelia confided in him about not knowing what she wanted to do after she left Hogwarts.

After a couple of hours, Remus and Ophelia looked up towards the castle and saw their group of friends walking down towards them. They knew about this tradition, and would often join the pair once they woke up.

Lily, Marlene, and Alice sat down next to Ophelia and the marauders sat next to each other. A scowl sat across Lily's face.

Ophelia stared at her for a moment before asking, "What happened?"

Lily's head shot towards James, "three times," she glared.

"On the way down here, he asked me out three separate times. You'd think that he's gotten the message by now!"

Ophelia couldn't help but laugh and said, "You should give it a try! I mean, why not?"

"Because he's an-"