chapter forty

30 October, 1776
5:13 pm

Students,
As of the holiday, all classes are hereby cancelled tomorrow, 31 October. The Great Hall will be inaccessible for the entire day to prepare for the All Hallows Ball. Meals will be provided in Professor McGonagall's transfiguration classroom. Enjoy your Halloween.
Signed, Professor Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

"Looks pretty legit to me," said Sirius, looking over a piece of parchment in his hands.

"Why does he have such a long name?" asked Peter.

"The real question is how are you so good at forging Dumbledore's handwriting, Wormy?" asked James.

"It's a talent," joked Peter.

"How exactly are students going to be receiving this announcement?" asked Opehlia.

"Ophelia Callidora, you don't put enough faith into us," pouted Sirius. "It's simple, really. One of us will use the invisibility cloak and wait outside of the different common rooms, wait for someone to say the password, sneak inside, and put them around the room. On bulletin boards, tables, empty walls, anywhere that has space. Hopefully they'll all get the message. We can't put them around the school though, otherwise the professors might see."

"And which one of us is going to do that?" asked Remus.

"You of course!" exclaimed Sirius.

"What?? Why me?"

"First, you're the sneakiest and quietest of all of us. And second, if you get caught, you can just say you were doing prefect stuff. Like rounds or something."

Remus rolled his eyes but agreed nonetheless. While most students were at dinner, he set off with the invisibility cloak and found a way into each of the common rooms. He went to the great hall as soon as he was done and found his friends all leaving.

"How'd it go moony?" asked James.

"No problems! I'm starving though," he replied.

"We made a plate for you! We were going to take it up to the common room and wait for you to get back," said Peter.

"That's sweet of you Pete, thank you!" smiled Remus as he took the plate from the short boy's hands.

✩☾✩☽✩

"Up! Get up!" exclaimed Alice, waking Ophelia up from her peaceful slumber.

She opened her eyes only to see Alice standing next to her, Lily making her bed, Marlene nowhere to be found, and a large white sheet covering someone standing in the middle of the room.

"What the hell is Marlene doing?" asked Ophelia, furrowing her eyebrows.

"It's Halloween, Phee! I'm a ghost of course!"

"That is the stupidest costume ever," laughed Lily.

Ophelia only just now realized how light it was in the room. Sunlight was shining through the thin glass panes, different from the usual dawn morning light or even moonlight. She looked at the clock, only to see that it was 10:07 am.

"We're late for class, how long did I sleep? And how long have you lot been awake for?" asked Ophelia.

"Oh it's not a big deal really," explained Marlene, taking the linens off of her head and throwing them lazily onto her bed. "Dumbledore cancelled classes today. Happy Halloween by the way."

"Oh right. I forgot that he did that," smirked Ophelia, amusement shining through her eyes.

"I'm hungry, can we go get breakfast?" asked Alice.