chapter eleven

Ophelia saw Regulus turn his head towards them, fear filling his eyes as he knew he'd been caught.

He quickly spun around on his heels, starting to walk fast paced back to the castle, but Sirius was too fast.

He grabbed a hold of Regulus' forearm, preventing him from getting away. Regulus turned back around, glaring at the twins.

"Have you been listening this whole time?" interrogated Sirius.

"Yeah, what about it?" replied Regulus, cooly.

"You heard all of it?"

"Yeah, so?"

"Reg," Ophelia asked slowly and directly. "Were you the one who told mother and father about our detentions?"

Regulus smirked, "I might have let it slip."

"But why? Why did you do it?" she asked again.

"I've been writing with mother and father this whole year. See, they actually enjoy my presence."

Sirius furiously gripped his arm, clinging on ever tighter than before.

"I wouldn't do that, Sirius. Wouldn't want your dear brother getting hurt."

"I wouldn't be so sure,"

"Sirius," Ophelia said, warningly.

Sirius dropped his grip on his younger brother, and thankfully Regulus didn't move.

"Mother and father needed to know," Regulus began. "Just how badly you two have been behaving. It seems worse than in years past, so many detentions, so many punishments..."

"Oh like you're any better" retorted Sirius.

"I am actually. Much. I haven't gotten in trouble once. You see, if you stay out of trouble, there's no need for punishment. In fact, I don't think I've lost Slytherin any point this year."

"Oh yes, Regulus Black, the Slytherin Prince! Adored by all, hated by none," growled Sirius. "Do you think they know about you're little fight with that Ravenclaw fourth year?"

"What mother and father don't know wont hurt them,"

"But what they do know will hurt us!" exclaimed Sirius, motioning towards himself and his sister.

"You think I don't know that?"

"Reggie-" started Ophelia.

"You think I don't ever get punished? That I've never gotten hit in my life? I'm sorry if they treat you worse, I really am, but that is not my fault. I'm sorry that you're too wrapped up in your hatred towards them that you don't even see me."

Ophelia and Sirius were silent. They didn't know what to say or how to say it, so they didn't say anything at all and let Regulus go on.

"If mother and father don't hit me as much, or are more proud of me for being in Slytherin, that is not my fault. It's just the circumstances that I have. Don't blame your hatred on me, I didn't do anything wrong. And don't think that I have such a perfect life either. Do you understand how much pressure I'm constantly under? One big mistake could ruin me. Mother and father want a reason to hate me just as much as they hate you."

"Reggie, I'm so sorry," Ophelia gently said. "I'm so sorry. I should have been better and looked at it from your point of view. It was so selfish of me, I was focused on myself and Sirius."

Regulus knew this wasn't true. Regulus had a decent relationship with his sister. He knew she cared. She cared for everyone in her family so much. She wasn't focused on herself, she was focused on her brothers, and he knew that.

He was mainly saying this to Sirius, but was glad that Ophelia was there to hear it as well. It felt good to talk about what he was going through at home and be able to have people understand, even just a little bit.

Ophelia, on the other hand, internalized this. She hated herself for it. She thought, with no doubt, that she was so selfish, and that she had done a bad job of watching and taking care of her brothers. She wanted to cry, so, so badly. But she knew she couldn't. Rule one of taking care of her brothers was to be strong. She had to be strong for them so that they could be vulnerable and sensitive.

"Reg, please forgive me. I promise, I'll do my absolute best to be there for you, especially when we are at Grimmauld place. Please, this is all my fault."

Regulus felt his heart drop. He let his guard down for a second, and let all emotion penetrate through his eyes. This was just enough for his sister to notice, she was good at noticing how he was feeling and responding well. She went up to him and wrapped her arms around him, warming him up just a little bit.

Ophelia could feel him sink into the hug, for just a moment, just one second, and it was over. As soon as it started, Regulus tensed up and pushed her off of him.

She stumbled backwards a few feet, Sirius taking a hold of her hand to stabilize her.

Regulus' face had hardened once again and he glared disapprovingly at them.

"I don't need your help," he spat. "I don't need help from filthy blood traitors like you."

Ophelia was shocked.

"Blood traitors. You are no family of mine. Mother and father are my family. They'll have to fix you when we come home. They have done so much for us, don't you dare disrespect them."

Regulus stormed off to his friends who were now watching the situation, leaving Ophelia and Sirius staring at each other in bewilderment.