chapter ninety two

29 August 1977

9:16 am

Looking out the kitchen window, Ophelia spotted four small dots in the sky, getting closer and closer until she could make out that they were birds -- owls, to be specific. She saw that they were each holding a letter and turned to the boys talking at the table.

"I think the school lists are here," she said.

"Don't remind me," Sirius groaned, putting his head down on the table.

Ophelia opened the door to meet the owls, untying the letters from each of their legs and holding them in a stack. Once the owls flew back, she handed each letter to its respective owner.

"Okay, place your bets, everyone," Sirius said. "Head boy and girl?"

"Easy," Ophelia scoffed. "Rem and Lily."

"Godric, I hope not. Being a prefect is enough responsibility, I don't want to be the head boy," Remus said with a grimace.

The four students ripped open their envelopes at the same time, reading through the letters, so silent they could hear a pin drop. And not just any pin, but a pin coming from James' envelope.

"Do they give the quidditch captains pins now?" Ophelia asked, confused as she stared at the boy's face, not bothering to pick up the pin, and instead, staring jaw-dropped at his letter.

"What the bloody hell-" Sirius muttered before snatching the letter from his best friend's hands and reading it for himself. As he read, a shocked look developed over his features before a small laugh slipped out and turned into a laugh so hard that he threw his head back.

"No way!" he shouted. "Dumbledore has officially lost his shit!"

"What happened?" Remus asked.

"James was made head boy!"

Ophelia scoffed, "Yeah, right. If you're going to try and prank me like that, at least make it believable. No, but seriously, what's given James that look like he's taking the final advanced arithmancy exam?"

Remus went over to where James stood, bent down, and went to grab the pin before pulling his hand back sharply and standing back up.

"You alright, moony?" Sirius asked.

"The pin is silver, I can't touch it."

Ophelia walked over and picked it up, examining the words on the front.

"Holy shit," she said, eyes widening as she looked up at James. She held the pin out so that her boyfriend could read it and he started laughing in a similar fashion that Sirius was still doing.

"He's gotta be doing this as payback for all of the pranks we've done to him over the years. It's the only way it makes sense. Why else would he make me head boy?" James asked, more so muttering it to himself than actually looking for an answer.

"Doesn't matter! You've got all the privileges now, Prongsy, do you know how many pranks we can do with this? And I'd bet my arse that Evans is the head girl. You'll be sharing a dorm," Sirius half-sung the last part, taunting James.

"Shove off, Padfoot. This is obviously a mistake."

"The letter says that it's for you, mate. I don't think it is," Remus said, holding the letter in his hands.

At that moment, Mia walked in the door, her eyes immediately finding the four kids.

"Oh good, your Hogwarts letters arrived. I'll tell Monty and he can take- what?" she started to say before seeing the looks on their faces.