chapter ninety five

2 September 1977

6:54 pm

Ophelia plopped down on the bench next to the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall, groaning as she threw her arms on the table and laid her head down on top of them.

"Alright, Phee?" Peter asked her, laughing under his breath at her dramatics.

"NEWTS will be harder than Merlin's dick when he saw Gwendolyn for the first time," she complained.

Sirius laughed at her comparison as he said, "If we get more work than we got last year, I think I might drop out and become a stripper."

"Speaking about future jobs, how did your career conferences with Minnie go?" James asked the group.

"Well, I just came from mine," Ophelia said, "and it went fine. We determined that I'd be fit to be a charms teacher when I graduate."

"As did we, with defense," Remus agreed.

"Minnie told me just to drop out and be a stripper, I guess it's fate," Sirius said.

"No, she did not. At least try to keep a straight face when you say stuff you want us to believe."

"No can do, Moony-Boy. Can't keep a straight face when all I've got is a gay one. Don't be homophobic, it's not a good look on you."

"Shut up, what did she actually say?"

"Told me I'd be a good auror and I'm on the right track to get there."

"Me too!" James said.

"The same for me," Alice said.

"She told me I had to drop magical art to fit alchemy into my schedule, otherwise, I'd never get accepted into the St. Mungo's training program," Marlene pouted.

"Pete, what about you?" Sirius asked.

"She said I'm doing fine. That being said, I don't know what department I want to work in, just that I want to work somewhere in the ministry."

"I can see you going to work every day wearing a blue bowler hat and matching striped suit," James said.

Peter laughed and hit James lightly on the arm, "No, no," he joked.

McGonagall peered over the table at her seventh year Gryffindors, masking the endeared look on her face with a tight lipped scowl.

"Mr. Potter, Ms. Black, come to my office with me if you would," she said.

James looked up at her with wide eyes, "Why does this always happen to me?" he whined.

"Whatever it was, we probably didn't do it!" Ophelia quickly said. "Probably."

"You're not in trouble, just follow me, please," she said, already exhausted with the two. The teens quickly stood from the table and paced after her as she walked out the large entrance doors. After a few minutes of silence and Ophelia and James elbowing each other every few seconds, they finally got to the transfiguration classroom and walked inside and through the room until they got into her office.

It was a small room, with a large window overlooking the training grounds. The walls were stone and plain, as was the desk, but a small vase of flowers sat upon it as well as an oval mirror. A small pink light, hung on the wall, lit the room, as did the moonlight coming in through the window.

"What can we do for you, Minnie?" Ophelia asked, sitting down on one of the chairs in front of the desk and propping her legs upon it. The professor flicked her wand and within moments, Ophelia's feet were planted on the floor and she was sitting upright in the seat. James remained standing behind the chair, arms crossed, as he smirked at the girl.

"I understand that it's very early in the year, of course, but I'd rather get a head start on it. Every year, I select the best students in a few subjects to lead as tutors for some of the younger students. Ophelia, you're the best student in your year, if not the school, at charms, and James, the same goes for you with transfiguration. You don't have to, of course, it's just an offer, but it would be very beneficial to the younger years. James, I know you have a lot of responsibilities as it is as head boy, but most students already look up to you. As for you, Ophelia, I know you are very busy, however, it would be an excellent opportunity to learn the real world experiences of being a teacher of sorts."

James and Ophelia looked at each other for a moment before turning around and facing the professor. James ran through the pros and cons of doing this, not wanting to be too busy as head boy, quidditch captain, and now tutor, but he soon came to a decision. On the other hand, Ophelia knew right away how much she wanted to do this; it truly would be the perfect opportunity to learn how to teach firsthand.

"I'm in," James said.

"Me too," Ophelia responded.

"Perfect," Professor McGonagall clapped her hands together and folded them in satisfaction. "You'll start tomorrow at 5:30 after classes, my classroom."

✩☾✩☽✩

3 September 1977

5:28 pm

Ophelia and James walked from their last class together -- defense against the dark arts -- to the transfiguration classroom. Neither of them knew what they were doing at all. They didn't know who they would be teaching or what they needed help with or where their skill levels lay.

James opened the door for Ophelia and when she walked in, she saw two young students: a girl wearing Hufflepuff robes and a boy with Ravenclaw robes. Professor McGonagall walked out of her office when she heard the door open and greeted the two older students.

"Hello James, Ophelia, how do you do?" When they both responded, she pointed the children's directions, "James, you'll be with Mr. Mayberry and Ophelia, you'll be helping Miss Willington," and left them to it. Ophelia shot James a look of confusion and James just shrugged his shoulders and went to the opposite side of the classroom to where the young boy sat and started talking.

"James Potter," he said, extending his hand. The boy looked up at him with wide eyes, down at his hand, back up to his eyes, once again down at his hand, his eyes again, and finally ended up staring at his hand before slowly grabbing it and shaking it.

"Caliber Mayberry," he murmured.

Ophelia looked back at the girl who was already looking up at her with wide, anxious eyes. She walked over to the girl and took the seat in front of her, turning around to face her. She had long brown hair, large blue eyes, and round, rosy cheeks.

"Hi, I'm Ophelia Black, you don't need to worry, I'm here to help you," she greeted.

"Black? I've heard about you. The older girls in my year say that your family is bad," she said, fear lacing her voice.

"Well, those girls wouldn't be entirely incorrect," she admitted, not wanting to lie to the child. "My brothers and I aren't bad, though, I promise. We're the good guys."

"Promise?"

"I promise."

"I'm Eudora. Eudora Willington."

"Nice to meet you, Eudora. What year are you in?"

"Second."

"And have you always had trouble with charms? Or is it just this year that you want to get a head start on?"

"No, I'm just not very good at them," she said, looking down bashfully.

"Well, by the end of the year, I can guarantee you that you'll be the best in your year."

Eudora giggled and looked up at Ophelia with hope. Ophelia looked over at the two boys in the room, James ruffling the boy's blonde hair, Caliber's dimples popping out.

"Now, what do you need help with first?" 

a/n:

Eudora Willington -- Madeleine McGraw

Caliber Mayberry -- Christian Convery