chapter thirty six

2 September, 1976
8:44 am

Ophelia woke up to a strong ray of sunshine piercing through the translucent curtains on her four poster bed. Her first thought was to go back to sleep, but she was instantly reminded that one of her favorite traditions of the school year was upon her.

She quickly hopped out of bed, braided a small piece of her long coffee hair, and put on a flowy green dress that went down to her knees. It had small straps, a few layers, and a cinched waistline.

She silently left her dormitory, leaving her best friends to sleep undisturbed. She silently padded down the stone stairs until entering into the peaceful, almost empty common room.

"Remus," she said, softly. Remus, however, seemed to be too enthralled in his novel to hear.

Ophelia smiled to herself and walked over to her friend. She stood right next to him and gently placed her palm upon the worn pages. 

Remus looked up at her and smiled warmly, "Ophelia!"

He placed the library slip in his book to mark the page he was reading and stood up, showing off his white, blue, and brown striped button up shirt. The short sleeves were rolled up one time, and Ophelia silently questioned if it was just a fashion choice or if he was making some sort of statement about his sexuality.

"Shall we go?" he asked.

"We shall," she replied, playfully. "Don't we need a basket?"

"Don't worry, darling," he said, leading her out of the portrait hole.

Darling. That gave Ophelia a strange feeling, almost as if fairies were fluttering around in her stomach. It's nothing, she thought. It's just that I've been so used to being around my family I'm not used to hearing words like that. That's all.

After a few minutes walk in a comfortable silence, the two reached the kitchens. Remus extended his arm to tickle the portrait of the fruit bowl, and when it swung open, he held the door for Ophelia to walk through in front of him.

"Why thank you, kind sir," she joked.

"Of course, m'lady," he responded with the same tone of voice.

Immediately, a small house elf with nothing but a dish cloth to cover themselves ran up to Remus and Ophelia.

"Hello, Miss!" the little house elf beamed up at Ophelia. "What can Wylah get for you?"

"Hi there, what did you say your name was? Wylah?"

Wylah nodded eagerly up at her new friend.

"Well, Wylah, my name's Ophelia and this is my friend Remus. Could you please get us a bit of breakfast food? Maybe a few scones, butteries, and some pastries?"

She looked back at Remus to see if he had anything to add on to her request.

"Would you also get us a bit of tea as well, please?" he asked politely.

"Of course! Wylah will be right back with your food!" Little Wylah scurried away through the kitchens.

"What about that basket?" Ophelia asked, then playfully added, "Darling."

"Watch this," he smirked.

"Damn Rem, I think you've been spending a bit too much time around James and Sirius!"

Remus laughed and scratched the back of his head awkwardly. "Yeah, I did spend quite a bit of time with them this summer. I hope their stupidity hasn't rubbed off on me."