chapter fifty seven

29 December 1996

6:36 pm

Several days had passed since her parents used the Sectumsempra curse on Ophelia. Kreacher had been called to heal her just enough so she wouldn't get too injured, but it still caused her a lot of pain.

On the 29th night of December, Walburga and Orion invited several pureblood families to come over for dinner. The Notts, Malfoys, Lestranges, and the Greengrasses were all sitting at the long table in the dining room of Grimmauld Place.

It was a formal dinner, so Ophelia and Regulus had to get dressed up. Ophelia wore a nice semi-formal dress and had her hair brushed neatly. She sat between Regulus and Jane Greengrass, who was a year older than her.

Ophelia had a plate of food in front of her, but her parents had forbidden her to touch it, otherwise, she would be harshly punished. She didn't want to risk any chance of the Cruciatus Curse, so she left it alone, hoping no one would notice that she hadn't eaten anything all dinner.

At the moment, the adults had just started discussing recruiting for the death eaters, which the children were expected to put their thoughts on.

"That young Snape boy was over here just a few days ago, we exchanged a few useful curses. It was rather refreshing to have youth in this house who are actually competent in the dark arts," said Orion.

"I've seen that Snape fellow at some death eater meetings. It's excellent that we are recruiting the children at such a young age. Lucius here will be inducted shortly, isn't that right, boy?" asked Abraxas Malfoy.

"It's true, sir. I'm very pleased to start serving the dark lord."

"What about your son, Adolphe?" asked Finian Lestrange.

"Theodore will be receiving the dark mark once he leaves school," explained Adolphe Nott.

"But that's not until a year and a half. Do you not want to serve the dark lord sooner?" asked Rabastan Lestrange.

"Of course I do," scoffed Theodore. "The problem is Dumbledore. I'd rather not get tangled up with trying to finish my studies while prioritizing my efforts towards the dark lord. Hogwarts would become too much of an obstacle should I try to join the death eaters before I graduate."

"Jane and Emory, I take it that both of you will be joining the dark lord soon?" asked Persephone Malfoy.

"Yes ma'am," said Jane Greengrass. "My brother and I will be receiving ours very soon. Emory is graduated, so he will be getting his dark mark very shortly. I'll be graduating at the end of this year, and I'll get mine quickly after."

"And the Black children?" inquired Demetria Greengrass.

"I don't know exactly when I'll be inducted, but I'm hoping within the next year," nodded Regulus.

"And the girl?" pushed Jacobus Greengrass.

"We fear that Ophelia doesn't have quite the skill that the dark lord is seeking," said Walburga.

"Why is that?" asked Isadora Nott.

"Because I don't agree with what he's promoting," Ophelia said blatantly. She knew it was risky to be disagreeing with such powerful people, but she didn't care. She wanted people to know that she was not and would never be a death eater, no matter the consequences.

"Excuse me?" said Persephone, taken aback.

"You heard me."

"And why is it that you don't agree with the dark lord?" drawled Adolphe.

"I don't like the idea of mass murdering muggleborns and half bloods. It's cruel and unnecessary.'

"Well, well, well, looks like the Black family has yet another blood traitor. First Alphard, then Andromeda, then Sirius, and now Ophelia." sneered Abraxas.

"Ophelia Callidora-" started Walburga.

"You foolish girl! You think that we are equal to mudbloods?" shrieked Demetria.

"I actually do. I don't see how we are any different except for the way that we were raised before Hogwarts."

"You are an abomination to the sacred twenty eight! Everything that we stand for, everything that you've been taught since you were born. I pity you Orion and Walburga, it's not your fault, of course, you've raised Regulus just fine, you occasionally get bad blood. It just so happened that the twins went their own path," said Floella.

"I disagree, Floella. If there's something wrong with the child, there must be something wrong with the parents," sneered Abraxas.

"Are you insulting my wife and I?" asked Orion.

"Of course not, Orion. I'm just stating my opinion. Of course, it may have played a factor, but all in all, it is young Ophelia's fault. She's the one to blame, being a Gryffindor, being around those reckless Gryffindors, hearing all of the pro-mudblood propaganda. It's her fault that she's chosen to believe the lies they spread."

"They're not lies! There are plenty of muggleborns who are better than Sirius and I in many ways!"

"We do not speak of Sirius! He is not a pureblood, he is a blood traitor, and so are you. You're on thin ice, girl," snapped Walburga. "Regulus, talk some sense into your sister."

Regulus' eyes widened and he turned to look at his older sister. She nodded very subtly to let him know that it was okay to say some vulgar things towards her. It would be very suspicious if he didn't after being directly told to.

"Ophelia, you're going to get yourself killed. The dark lord and his followers are much stronger than those mudbloods you call friends. They cannot overtake the death eater, and if you join Dumbledore's side of the war, you're basically signing a death sentence."

"You see, the thing is, I don't care. Call me whatever you want, I don't agree with what you stand for. Can't we all have different opinions and leave it at that?"

"Absolutely not! You are a stupid, ignorant girl. You're so brave, aren't you? A courageous little Gryffindor brat. All Gryffindors are just reckless and weak. Underneath that bravery they show are insecurities and cowardice. That's all there is," spat Jacobus.

"Liar," said Ophelia.

"You dare insult me, girl?" asked Jacobus. "That's it. Walburga, Orion, thank you for your kindness in inviting us over for dinner, but I believe that we best be on our way now. Take care of your daughter."

As soon as he said this, all families at the table stood up and soon left, leaving Ophelia alone with Regulus and two fuming parents.

a/n: to help you guys a bit here's this:

Abraxas + Persephone Malfoy = parents to Lucius Malfoy, in laws to Narcissa

Finian + Floella Lestrange = parents to Rabastan and Rudolphus Lestrange, in laws to Bellatrix

Jacobus + Demetria Greengrass = parents to Emory and Jane Greengrass

Adolphe + Isadora Nott = parents to Theodore Nott