Chapter 15

After the May 1st Labor Day holiday, the country raised a high temperature warning, coupled with the northern drought, the hot sun scorched the earth, and the temperature rose further.

Several major cities had broken through the historical highest temperature of 51 degrees, and even the Hantan village’s temperature, which was warm in winter and cool in summer, soared directly to 30 degrees.

The seven households in the village had no air conditioners, only electric fans, and the fans were blowing hot air. They couldn’t sleep at night. Each of them carried a bench and sat beside a well in Su Mian’s courtyard.

“Damn it, it’s too hot.”

“Now an air conditioner has gone up to five thousand yuan, and it’s still out of stock. There are so many villages nearby, everyone is queuing up to buy air conditioners.”

“Even if I bought an air conditioner, I can’t find a person to install it now. The installers would get a heatstroke and go to the hospital.”

The village chief Li vigorously shook the broken fan, hit the mosquito on his leg, and said, “Can you install it?”

Everyone shook their heads.

Su Mian ordered two sets of mosquito coils and put it in the yard, washed a large pot of strawberries taken from the refrigerator, and moved the electric fan to the yard. She laughed and said, “The village chief is right, not only in our county, Air conditioners across the country are out of stock, and factory orders have been made for the next month. Now air conditioner repairs must be booked three days in advance. “

Liu Yao was so flustered and helpless, “Then if we can’t buy an air conditioner, will we die from heat? Our baby is only seven years old, so I can’t live in my sister’s house.”

“There’s no place to go,” said uncle Liu sadly.

Su Mian’s eyes were bright, “It’s not necessary to install an air conditioner. The water pool in the back mountain is cold, so it’s better to build a stone house there to move in. Without an air conditioner, you can live in summer. The stone house can also prevent the wild animals in the mountain from approaching it, it’s very safe.”

“It’s a good idea. I can even take my sheeps with me. If we wait any longer, our sheeps will die of heat,” the village chief said and patted his legs vigorously.

“Xiao Mian, how much does it cost to build a stone house?” Grandma Zhao at the end of the village said anxiously, “I raised chickens and sold eggs last year, and saved 3000 Yuan. Is that enough?”

Grandma Zhao lived alone in Hantan Village. Her husband went out to work and died from overworking. Her only son had a car accident. Her daughter-in-law ran away with her granddaughter and all the money in the house. The elderly lived on the government’s minimum living allowance every month. Last year, she raised chickens and sold eggs with Su Mian’s grandmother, and saved some money.

“Grandma Zhao, you can live with us at that time, you don’t need to build one,” Liu Yan said cheerfully.

“That’s right. We don’t feel at ease when you live alone. We’ll crowd together then,” the village head said.

Those who stayed in Hantan village were the elderly, women and children. Because they lived in the mountains for a long time and were isolated from the world, they were simple and honest, and helped each other on weekdays. This was the main reason why Su Mian wanted to come back to help everyone.

“You can share a living room and kitchen with several families, which is not only cost saving but also lively. The construction team is readily available. You can arrange the people who will live together. I’ll ask the construction team to help you build the house.”