32 - Humiliated

Jason's room was still intact, something I was glad to see. Turns out the only reason he went crazy was that when he was at grandma's he ran across some videos online that spoke about Spongebob conspiracy theories and now he was traumatized. Poor Jay, these videos scarred me when I was a kid. I sat with him for what seemed like an hour, explaining to him that these videos don't have to change his views on his favorite show, nor does he have to act like they're the truth, they're just opinions and theories of random people on the internet.

He calmed down after a bit and went back to watching Spongebob, meaning I could go down and have my lunch in peace. When I went down, Cole was there and I was surprised to see him, as he had told me he was going to go to Jade's place, but he was still here.

"Everything alright with Jason?" he asked me, taking a sip of the coffee he had just made, steam surrounding the cup. "Yup, Youtube got to him" I explained, moving over to the cupboards to get myself a plate. "I told mum he's spending way too much time on grandma's laptop" he shook his head and took another sip, and I was shocked at how his tongue hadn't caught on fire yet.

"How was school today?" he asked, jumping from one topic to the other. "You know, the usual" I replied, getting the mac and cheese grandma had made out of the oven and serving it on a plate. "How are your friends doing?" he continued, taking another sip of coffee. "They're good" I said, reaching for the fridge to get some juice. "Weren't you going to go to Jade's?" I asked, hoping they didn't fight again. "I'm going to go, I just wanted to make sure you and I got some things sorted first"

I gulped, freezing in my spot. This can't be good, I thought, hoping that it had nothing to do with Mr You-know-who, but knowing my brother, it probably did. Making it worse for me, he took a seat on the other side of the table, meaning I had to have him look at me while I ate and got a lecture. Double the fun, yay!

"What do you want to sort?" I asked, playing it cool. I am innocent, I am innocent. "I know about what Lindsay told you at the diner". The minute the words left his mouth, shock ran over me, and for a second I felt like I'd drop the glass I was holding. As calmly as I possibly could, I walked over to the table and took a seat on the other side of the table, putting the glass down-just to be safe.

"How do you-"

"-Does it matter? You lied to me, told me Black wasn't there, and turns out not only was he there, but his girlfriend was too" he answered, angry but calmer than I had anticipated.

"I know I lied when I promised I wouldn't but she caught me off guard and I didn't know how to handle it. I mean how would you react if someone told you I was a criminal?" I justified myself and this time I was telling the truth. I don't know if under different circumstances I would've told him about Aiden being there, but that doesn't change the fact that had Lindsay not said anything, I would've handled it way differently.

"You could've told me something so I could explain myself, Eve. There was no reason for you to feel puzzled and caught off-guard unless of course, you believe her" he rejected my explanation and I looked away from him, taking another bite off my pasta yo make myself seem unable to speak. Honestly, I don't know what would come out of my mouth if I did.

"You do, don't you?" he took my silence as an answer, and I almost choked on my lunch. I threw my fork somewhere on my plate, shaking my head. A hand covered my eyes, a frustrated sigh leaving my lips. "I don't know, should I?" I asked him, facing him this time.

"What kind of question's that? Of course not" his eyes widened and look at me in disbelief. "Then why would she say that? Out of all the things that she could've said to spite me, why would she pick that?" I questioned, sitting back on my chair and crossing my arms over my chest. I wanted to listen to him and to trust and believe him, but so far he hadn't given me a reason to. We had grown closer to one another, yes, but I wasn't just going to take his word for it without an explanation.