56 - Bullet

Aiden's POV 

I parked the car outside of our apartment, next to my own. Would you look at the fucking irony. I fumbled with the keys in my hand, unsure of what I'd face walking through the door. Don't be a pussy, this needs to happen. 

I walked up the stairs, until I was at the door. It was open, and through the crack I could see Lindsay, sitting on the couch with a mug in her hand. I pushed it open, hearing it screech. "You're late" she said, and the calmness in her voice made alarms go off in my head. "Where the fuck have you been?" I asked, slamming the door behind me. 

"You were out for cigarettes for too long, what did you expect me to do? I went home" she replied, setting the mug on the table. It made a slight noise when it touched the surface, catching my attention. There was an eerie atmosphere in the room. 

"And you took my car home too" I said, leaning against the wall. "That car's in my name, I can use it whenever I want" she said, raising her eyebrow at me. I scoffed, recalling the day I finally got the money I needed to buy that car. 

She played with the rings on her fingers. "In any case; you've been pretty daring lately" she said,  the clinging of steel ringing in the air. I frowned. "Daring how?" I asked, playing the same game as she was. She knew why I was visiting, and I knew she was waiting for me. "You're trying new cigarettes lately. If I were you I'd be careful though...they might burn your throat" she said, and Ι smirked at her word play. "Nah, I think only you can do that" I replied, fighting the urge to put more poison in my lungs. 

I needed to be as alert as possible, even if I hadn't slept at all last night. "You're risking an awful lot to get your new brand , it must be good" she pointed out, looking me dead in the eyes now. "When you love something, you do anything to get it". I wasn't referring to damn cigarettes and we both knew it. There was no point in stalling any longer. 

She got up, red creeping up her neck. "You'll never have her. You can't be dumb enough to think you can fool me" she barked, and I stepped closer to her. "The only one dumb here is you; you really think you can keep me close to you with threats?" I scoffed, shaking my head. A devilish smirk played on her lips, her eyes shining. "I'm not trying to keep you close to me, but I will keep you away from her. Just like you kept me away from my father" she said, venom dripping off her tongue with every word. 

"Your father was just as stupid as you, thinking he would never get caught" I paused, a bitter laughter leaving my lips. "Who hires a hitman over the phone?". The minute my words reached her ears, I saw a shift happen in her head. A dangerous one. 

She reached behind the pillow on the couch, and before I knew it a loaded gun was pointed towards me. "She's the reason they locked him up and she'll pay for it" she said, her eyes glistening. "Put the gun down" I calmly said, ignoring her illogical claims. She simply laughed. "Do you really believe you can beat me?  Even her brother is on my side, who do you think gave me Jason?". 

I fucking knew he had something to do with it. "What do you think you'll get out of this? Even if you shoot me now, my family will look for me, and they'll find both me and Jason. What will you do then?" I tried reasoning her. "No one will find you. Not you, nor the little bastard" she stated, hands gripping on the weapon. 

"And then what? You'll disappear again and wait until you get locked up or killed? Face it Lindsay, if you don't stop now, your life's ruined". Hesitation flashed in her eyes, and I grasped the opportunity to approach her. "Stop" she demanded, but it felt like a plea. 

"Do I sound unreasonable to you? If you give back Jason now, everything will be over. Take the car and leave; start over while you still can". I wanted nothing more than to see her rot in prison and pay for all the bullshit she brought in my life, but lives were at stake and If there was one person that could convince her to stop this train wreck, it was me. 

And it was working. Her grip on the gun loosened, as her shaking hands had trouble holding it. "Don't come any closer, I promise I'll plant a bullet in your head" she threatened, not convincing me or herself. "Do it then" I urged her on, walking closer. "Do it, what are you waiting for?" I said through a clenched jaw. "Stop it" she said, her breath unstable. "You can't do it, can you?". Lindsay was panting, fighting to hold the gun. 

For the first time I was the one that held power over her, and not the opposite. Needless to say, I was enjoying every last bit of it. She was now nearly panting, as my forehead touched the end of the barrel. "Go on, kill me" I demanded. Our eyes locked, and I saw the tears forming in the corners of her eyes, threatening to spill. Now. 

In a swift move, I pushed the gun out of her hand. Her head followed it; she looked once in the direction of the gun, and once towards me. 

The sudden change, brought her back to her original target. Me. Like a wild animal, she sprawled herself on top of the weapon, fumbling with it for a moment before dropping it again. My right hand captured hers while the left reached for the gun. The smell of rusted metal filled the room. Lindsay was clawing on my hand, tearing the skin. 

Her hand snapped back, landing a blow on my jaw. I heard my teeth snap together; eh, if I'm gonna break something today it's better if it's a tooth. Dizziness overtook me and I lost my grip on Lindsay's hands, a mistake that allowed her to wiggle under me and take hold of the gun. 

I knew that if I managed to land a kick anywhere on her, I'd have enough time to get the gun. So why couldn't I do it? 

"Stupid thing" she cursed it. She pulled the trigger repeatedly, but with no luck; it was stuck. I took the opportunity to grab her by the ankle and pull her under me once again. Her knees flew up, hitting me at an oh, so sensitive spot. 

Suddenly we were both holding the gun, her finger still resting on the trigger. "Let go you're gonna kill us both" I said, pushing the gun down and away from my face - which I doubted I'd keep if we went on like this. With her free hand, she pushed my face away, trying to shove her fingers in my eyes. 

A loud bang went through my ear drum, but it was nothing, compared to the excruciating pain I felt in my leg. I rolled to the side, my body folding in half on its own accord. My blue jeans slowly turned red, starting from my thigh. I covered the wound with my hand, applying as much pressure as I could stand. 

Jason. I need to find Jason. 

Lindsay dropped the gun, her eyes widening in shock. Hands tangled the black hair, her chest moving frantically up and down. "Fuck. Fuck, fuck, fuck" she kneeled next to me, resting her hand on my cheek. "Are you okay? Shit, you're bleeding" she looked at my bleeding thigh, unable to figure out what to do with her hands. 

"What the fuck did you think was gonna happen if you shot me?" I yelled and she shook her head. "I didn't mean to, it fucking backfired!" she screamed, panting. She got up, pacing back and forth in the room. 

With the corner of my eye I saw the shining metal. I glanced at Lindsay; she was too caught up in her panic attack to pay attention to me. I grabbed it with all the strength I had left and pointed to her. 

"P-put that away I can't even look at it right now" she plead, not understanding that I wasn't just showing it to her. "You may freak out at the thought that you shot someone, but I won't. Take me to Jason, or the next bullet will go straight through your head" I growled, making her frown. "Are you- Are you serious?" she asked, her voice small. 

"We're wasting time, go start the car" 

~~~

*sighs dramatically* dearly beloved, we have gathered here in this day, so that I can announce that He's back is slowly coming to an end. I don't know how many more chapters they'll be, but I thought i'd warn you. 

I'm also thinking about maybe writing a second book and continue Aiden and Evelyn's story.. lemme know what you think 

Cheerio:)