14 - Hide and Seek

I walked towards Cole's car as fast as I could, not bothering to look behind me as I went. This night was a disaster, a big -I mean it- very big disaster. For a brief second I found myself thinking about going back to Aiden instead of letting Cole drive me home but quickly realized I needed time to process everything I had heard and him being with me during that time wouldn't help a single bit.

Cole seemed angry, fuming almost which made me even angrier. I was the one supposed to be mad at both of them, but especially him. He obviously knew about the whole situation with Aiden and was in contact with him the whole time when I was suffering, waiting for the phone to ring so that could hear even a single word from him.

Cole got in the car, starting it immediately as I followed close behind. I didn't look at him, I just looked straight ahead instead. The car started moving as we both looked at the road, neither of us saying a word.

''I told you to stay away from him, Evelyn! I fucking told you!'' Cole yelled after a moment of silence, shaking his head.

''You can't just force me not to see my best friend, Cole! Not after not seeing him for so long!'' I yelled back, my hands flying everywhere. I had promised to stay away and I thought I wanted to but I can't. I thought I could and I thought that it was for the best but now that he's back, now that he's here, I realize I can't shut him out of my life as if he was nothing.

''He's not who you think he is! He's got you wrapped up around his finger and you can't even see it. He's dangerous, Evelyn. If you stay with him, he will ruin you''

Ruin me?

''Well- Well, you don't seem to be that perfect either or any less dangerous. You yourself just offered him to 'join your forces' or whatever and he said he's done helping you which means that he has helped you again in the past! What help could you possibly want from him if he's as dangerous as you say?"

He looked at me, shocked but didn't say anything.

''Well?" I pushed, demanding an answer. I spent the past three years in ignorance because I was too scared to find out what was happening. I ignored all the signs that said I should do something. I wasn't planning on spending any more time like this. ''That's different'' he said under his breath, loud enough for me to hear. I scoffed and crossed my arms over my chest. ''Sure, Cole.'' I rolled my eyes.

''You don't know what I know so you better drop it and stop accusing me of things I didn't do.''

''I didn't accuse you of anything I simply mentioned what I heard come from your own mouth, in your own words'' I said, trying to hold my ground. ''And you know what, I'm so tired of people telling me I know nothing about this and no one actually telling me what I should know''

''Should know?'' he chuckled ''You have nothing to do with this so it'd be better for all of us if you'd just stay out of it'' he said, his tone harsh. It was almost like he was implying that I was a burden and was making things hard for them by learning about this and being involved, even though I still wasn't even close to being involved.

''Then why don't you tell me about it?! It's not that hard Cole, plus I do have something to do with it, I know it now. Aiden told me'' I said, turning to look at him. The car stopped abruptly at a red light, making both of us jolt back in our seats.

''He what?!'' he yelled, his fist colliding with the steering wheel ''That fucking idiot'' he murmured, probably not wanting me to hear, but I did. ''You know what, that's it. If he dares to come near you again, he's done. Dead. Same goes to you, you better keep your ass away from that scum'' he said, his voice low but harsh and angry.

I looked at him with wide eyes, hoping he was being metaphorical when he said he was going to kill Aiden. Scum? I normally would have defended my best friend if he was called a scum but in that moment, I stayed frozen, my eyes narrow and my mouth slightly parted.