58 - fuck communication

"I just wanna talk, you can't stay in there forever" 

"There's nothing to talk about you need to stay out of this" I heard Cole's voice from the other side of the door. From the moment we walked in, he had been locked in his room, unwilling to come out. He didn't even know Axel was here, and it was probably for the better that he didn't.

I turned to look at Axel. "All yours" I whispered. He nodded, lifting the fire extinguisher and slamming it on the door, the sound of metal against wood echoing in the house. He repeated the motion again, and again, until the door hit the wall, revealing a very startled and confused Cole. 

"Too dramatic?" I asked, smirking. "Have you lost your mind?" he yelled, getting up. "More than you? Probably not" I paused, walking in the room, with Axel following. The second Cole's eyes landed on him, his expression changed, into something I couldn't quite read; his face held anger but in his eyes I saw fear. 

"What the fuck are you doing with him?,, Cole's voice boomed across the room. As intimidating as his tone was, I knew he was only trying to fool himself. He couldn't hurt anyone, he couldn't even face me. "I'm getting my brother back since you're obviously too in your feelings to do it, I said, a muffled chuckle coming from Axel.

"Funny coming from you, yeah, how's chasing Aiden going?" Cole spat out, and I burst into laughter. "Feels great, you know, doing things like taking responsibility instead of hiding in my room like a coward,, I replied, the tension in the room growing by the second.

He strode towards me, his jaw locked." Talk to me like that again and we'll see who's the coward,, he growled. Axel put down the extinguisher and with the corner of my eye I saw him walk up to us, but I shook my head, turning to face Cole. "You'll want to watch how you talk to me or the next time you see me, you'll be behind bars,, I whispered, and watched as his stance grew small, defeated.

"You wouldn't rat out your brother,, he said. I couldn't wrap my head around how I could possibly be related to the person in front of me. We grew up together, he became the father I needed when the real one bailed on us, and now I was threatening to put him jail.

"You lost the right to call i yourself that when you put Jason's life in danger. I'd have no problem watching them put cuffs on you,, tears threatened to spill from my eye, but I shook my head, as if that would throw away my feelings as well.

For a second, his mask dropped, and his expression softened before he collected himself; ."Don't you use your brain for a second? You're gonna ruin our family just because you're mad at me? Think about someone else for a change, Evelyn. Mum would be torn apart andJason would have to grow up without his brother,, he argued and my jaw fell open.

"Jason? You think about Jason now? You've been lying to all for us for years and now you wanna talk about family? While you've been gone, doing whatever the fuck brought us here, mum's been working her ass off to make sure you would even be able to live on your own, so you wouldn't have to work during 'college'. We're probably in so much dept that I don't know how long we can live here for before the bank takes the house away, and you have the nerve to call me selfish?"

My voice echoed in the small room, and I was shaking profusely. My mother and I didn't exactly have the best relationship, or any relationship to be exact. But I couldn't ignore the trouble she went through, or the all-nighters she pulled at work when Cole told us he was going to college.

He opened his mouth to protest but I cut him off before he could. "That's enough. I don't want to hear another word from you. In fact, you better hope I rat you out because if I don't, you're finding a way to get back every penny of that money", I said.

He crossed his arms over his chest, and kissed his teeth, his foot stamping against the floor nervously. When his obsession with Aiden started, I calmed myself by believing his out of order behavior was an act. A part of me still wanted to believe this, but he made it more and more difficult to do so.

"Is that all? You came over here to threaten me? , he squinted his eyes. "No, actually. I came over here to tell you we're going to get Jason back and you're gonna help us,, I said, making him scoff. "You really think I wanna get even more involved in this?,, he said, land I felt my heart shatter. How could he be so cold?

The thought alone tormented me, but I couldn't let my guard down now. "I don't give a shit what you want, Cole,, I said, and he chuckled, smirking. "Why am I not surprised?" he replied, teasingly. 

"I'm glad I amuse you, but let's see how amusing you find this; don't help us, and when the cops come, I'll be the first to give them your name plus all of the disgusting shit you've done, - which I have witnesses for. If I'm correct you'll be facing up to 25 years in prison for second degree kidnapping  given your criminal record. If you do help, we don't mention you being involved in any way, and put all blame on Lindsay. From that point on, it's her word against ours, and if things go south, the offence will be mitigated to a degree. But of course it's your choice,,

~~~

The ride to Ivory's apartment was dead silent. Axel was driving, asI was in no way in shape to get us there safely, while Cole sat in the back. Turns out Axel's knowledge in law had come in handy in more ways than one.My knee bounced up and down so hard, it felt like I was making the entire car shake, as impossible as that is. I had managed to keep my emotions in check this whole time, but the silense that fell upon the vehicle, gave me exactly the space I needed to let myself drown in rage.

Axel's voice took over the walls of my brain, and I couldn't get it out. 'Your little friend has been obsessed with Aiden since the moment I met her'. 

Has everyone gone absolutely lunatic? How could she possibly be so infuriated by Aiden that she went along with a plan this absurd? She's known Jason since he was a baby, she was my best friend, I was there for her through every stupid break up, every fight with her family, every time she couldn't stand herself and I stayed up all night on the phone with her to make sure she wouldn't do anything crazy. 

I never wanted anything back for any of those things, but this? This is too much. "You good over there?" Axel asked me, his voice barely audible, considering Cole was still in the back seat with us. "I will be"I replied, and went back to looking out the window. 

All I wanted more than anything in that moment was to get back at her. Make her feel as helpless and weak as I did when she decided that whatever sentiment she felt for Aiden - obsession, hatred, maybe even love - was more important than Jason's safety. 

My mind went back to the day I first saw Aiden again. All the relief I felt to be near him, hug him, and how quickly everything went to hell. If he were here right now, he'd know exactly what to say to make this feel like a walk in the park. Without him, I felt like a little kid lost at the grocery store, going through every isle to find its parents. 

The car came to a stop outside Ivory's house. Without a word I stepped out, walking to Ivory's door. "Stay here" I heard Axel tell Cole, before following me. "Evelyn, wait" he grabbed my arm. 

"What?" I asked, annoyed. "Be calm" he advised, and I nodded. "I'm not an animal, Axel" I said, and he let go of my arm. I took deep breaths, hoping it could somehow calm me down. I knocked on the door, my heart feeling like it's going to burst out of my chest any minute now. The door opened, and I saw Ivory. Her face dropped for a second, but she tried to mask it. 

"Hey girl, what's up?" she asked, in an attempt to play it cool. I've always been against violence. I'm a firm believer that there's nothing that can't be solved with communication. So if you ask me now, why my hand flew out, and punched her in the face, I'd tell you fuck communication.  

~~~

HELLO ALL 

Okay so for starters He's Back is not (even if you can't really tell) discontinued !! Ive been getting a lot of messages regarding that, so just thought id get that out of the way. 

uni is over for the summer which means new chapters ;) I split this chap into two parts so that id get one out sooner, hence why it's a bit short, but I prrromise more is coming