55 - Stay

Narrator's POV

Knock, knock, knock. 

Three little pebbles hit Evelyn's window, one after the other, capturing the concearned girl's attention. She left her bed, in which she had stayed for the past three hours, staring at the ceiling. One word tormented her head. Defeat. 

Opening her window, she faced him, smiling weakly. "Look who's up" he said, and she returned a small smile. "Hey" she replied, her voice barely audible. "Have you eaten yet?" he asked her, hiding his concearn with playfullness. "No, I just woke up" she lied, and he read right though it, but chose not to say anything. "Lucky you, I made breakfast. Head over" he proposed. 

Evelyn looked at the locked door behind her, reminding herself who was in the living room. "Cole's downstairs, I can't" she refused, but then an idea popped in her head. "I'll climb" she added, contradicting herself and completely ignoring her fear of heights. She couldn't stand to be in that empty house any longer, it felt empty without Jason. 

Carefully, she slipped one leg after the other on the window, resisting the urge to look down. The only thing she focused on, was the ocean-eyes boy in front of her. She stretched her right leg as far as it could go, gripping on Aiden's window. The next leg went. Before she could climb inside, she lost her balance, wiggling her arms in front of her. Two strong arms caught her own, bringing her inside. 

She clawed on him, hiding her face in his neck, and he knew it wasn't because he helped her climb in. "Hey you" he said, rubbing soothing circles on her back. "Hungry?" he asked her, hearing her rumbling stomach. "Not really, I ate before I went to bed. Still working on it" she giggled weakly and he chuckled "Right" he said, sitting on the edge of the bed. She probably hadn't eaten anything since he last saw her last night. He checked the time. Two. It wasn't like her to wake up at this hour he thought. 

She took a seat too, looking away. "I'm sorry I put you through all the trouble of cooking... I can smell the omelette from here" she apologised, trying to cover the sound of her stomach rumbling once again. "It's okay, more for me" he smirked, kissing her head. He quickly left the room, coming back with what smelled like paradise in a plate. 

Under any other circumstance, she would've mauled the food on it, but even though her body protested repeatedly, she couldn't bring herself to eat. 

He took a bite, satisfaction covering his face. "Not to brag or anything, but this shit's good" he said, making Evelyn laugh. "Here I was thinking your forte was being the chaotic element of my life" she replied and he pretended to feel betrayed. At this point he would do anything to make her laugh. 

"Are you doubting my cooking? I dare you try this and tell me it doesn't taste good" he grabbed a piece with his fork, bringing it close to her mouth. Once she felt the taste on her tongue, she realised just how hungry she really was. Victory, he thought once he saw the most treasured person in his life, finally eating. 

"This is nice" Evelyn said after a few moments of comfortable silence. "I told you I can cook" Aiden replied, clearly proud of himself. She giggled. "No, I mean this is nice" she explained motioning to themselves. "I wish i could..." she stopped herself, hesitating to let the words come out. "What?" he urged her, stuffing a mouthful of omelette in his mouth. 

"I wish i could wake up like this every day" she confessed, making him smile. He put the plate on the bedside table and scooted over to where she was, bringing her close to him and wrapping his arms around her. "Once this is over, I'm taking you away. Just me and you, wherever the fuck you want to go." he said, kissing her forehead. "I don't care where, as long as you're there" she said, feeling her chest fill with love.