2- Family Drama

''Evelyn.''

''Evelyn?''

''Evelyn wake up!''

''Huh?'' I said, opening my eyes slightly and looking around, completely confused. Once again, I had fallen asleep while eating my breakfast and now I had a bunch of Fruit Loops scattered in different parts of my face. Again.

''I have work to get to, so stop being so lazy, and eat your breakfast so that we can leave already!'' my mum shouted at me before throwing another pillow behind her while trying to find her keys under the couch's pillows.

''Mum, I'm seventeen years old, making me old enough to be able to take care of myself. You don't need to give me a ride to school that's literally ten minutes away everyday.''

''I am just worried about your safety and want you to get there in the comfort of our car instead of walking''

''Our car that you never let me drive even though I have a license but you remember to let me ride in it when it's unnecessary to?''

I saw her roll her eyes at me and rush upstairs to go find- I don't even know what. I don't even know how we got to that conversation but all of the sudden we had found ourselves talking about how I'm ungrateful and I'm hiding stuff from her because apparently, I don't tell her enough.

Yeah, okay, let's pretend that I'm the one that doesn't talk instead of telling the truth that's that she hasn't had a normal conversation with me since last week, meaning that she's the one I don't know things about.

Or so she thinks. Two weeks ago, my mum's boss had called to ask if she was okay because apparently, she hadn't gone to work for two whole weeks. Now, it doesn't take a genius to put the pieces together.

The past two weeks, my mum has been dropping me off at school and then going to see the boyfriend that she doesn't know that I know that she has.

''If you really have work to get to, then leave now. Oh, while doing so, remember to call your boss and tell him that you'll be at work because apparently, he doesn't know you're there. The last time he saw you was some weeks ago.'' I said with the loudest voice I had, in order for her to hear me. I then quickly put my bowl in the sink, and, satisfied with my answer I got up and headed for my room.

''Wh-what do you mean?'' she stuttered as she casually walked in my room while I was changing. 'Oh, the irony. Last night she gave me a whole lecture about privacy and not even a day later she was invading mine.

''What part of it didn't you understand? Your boss called me yesterday and said that you haven't gone to work for weeks mum. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go change, so you can just go do whatever you do every day that apparently isn't work, and let me get to school. Ok?'' I said and put my keys in my backpack.

''How dare you talk to me like this?'' she yelled while turning me around to look at her.

''I dare talk to you like this the same way you dare remind me that you wish I was never born.''

Before she had the chance to say anything back, I almost ran to the bathroom and locked myself in there while I still could hold the tears back. I didn't want her to see me cry. I was ashamed to show weakness in front of my own mother.

Parents are the ones who are supposed to be the first people we go to when we're having any sort of problems or feel blue, but that was never the case in our household. My father left so soon I don't even remember him, meaning that I didn't even get a chance to actually get to know him, let alone run to him and cry, and my mother; well, she has her own problems. When my father left, she turned to alcohol. She would drink and drink until she got wasted and passed out on the couch while I went to sleep starving since I was only five meaning that my only source of food was her, and the last thing she wanted to do was deal with having to cook.