CHAPTER FIFTEEN

Venus had done a lot of thinking on the ride back from the hospital. She couldn't help but replay Kates words, over and over again in her head, reaching a conclusion that she didn't like. Stiles hadn't said a word to her about what Kate said, for he himself wasn't sure what it meant but he knew they wouldn't like it.

The front door slammed shut behind her, harder than she intended it to, startling her father who was in the kitchen. Alexander looks up from where he was making a cup of tea, immediately taking notice of his daughters confused state.

"I'm gonna ask you a question." Venus speaks firmly. "And I need you to answer me honestly. No lies, dad."

"Vee, what's going on?" Alexander attempts to round the island to get closer, but she puts a hand up, worrying her father even further.

"How did Kate Argent know mom?"

Her father falters, his lips hesitating as he attempts to find an answer that will ease his daughters worries. "Why're you asking about Kate Argent?"

"I've already come to my own conclusion about this and I'm praying to everything that it's not true. Because if it is, I don't know what to think dad."

"A conclusion to what?"

Venus takes a breath before repeating the exact words Kate had spoken to her only a few minutes ago. Her father stands frozen ahead of her, clearly not anticipating that this was the conversation his daughter wanted to have.

"Did Kate kill mom?" Venus whispers, leaning a hand against the kitchen island to steady herself.

Alexander takes a breath, looking anywhere but at her. "Maybe."

"Maybe?"

"I don't know."

"Is it maybe or is it you don't know?" Venus raises her voice, taking a step away from him as the tears start to fill her eyes.

"It's complicated, Vee."

"How is it complicated? Wh- I don't understand."

"Sweetheart, sit down." Alexander speaks softly, trying to reach her but she pulls back. "Venus, we can talk about this."

"Talk about what dad? How you've been lying to me for the past year? How I had to find out from the murderer herself?"

"There's more to it than just-"

"Then tell me! What else is there to know?"

Venus was yelling at this point, her face covered in salty tears as she watched her father in disbelief. Disbelief that he would hide this from her. That he was being so calm about this.

"I don't know what happened, Venus." Alexander admits with a sigh, leaning both hands on the island and hanging his head in shame. "She was in the woods and I found her. She was bleeding out."

"Why was Kate even there?"

"It was the same night she died, when Peter supposedly killed her. Willow was trying to keep the balance."

"How could you not tell me?" Venus whispers, her voice catching on the lump in her throat.

Her father looks back up at her, guilt written all over his face. "I didn't have a choice."

"Didn't have a choice?" she scoffs. "What situation is there where you don't have a choice on telling me how my mother died?"

Alexander was taken aback by the way she was screaming at him, he didn't think he would ever have to see his daughter this distraught again after Willow passed. But here she was, breaking completely and it was all his fault.