CHAPTER THIRTY

"No way." Venus speaks firmly, her hand reaching out to grab the recorder from Lydias hands. They didn't know how Valack could be planning to use that recording, for all they knew he could want it to break out. Or worse, break out everything in this unit. No scenario played out in Venus' head where giving him that recording would end well. The strawberry blonde pulls the couple a few steps backwards.

"He's the only one that knows anything." she whispers to them.

"I'm with Venus." Stiles replies, speaking just as quietly. "The guy's a nut-job who drilled a hole into his head. He's probably lying his ass off."

Their conversation had to end there as the mans yelling cut them off. "How many have died so far? All of them teenagers, am I right? Want to know how many died the first time they came here? I wonder how many will die if they succeed."

"So this did happen before." Lydia accuses.

"And now they're back. All because a few teenagers who never even considered the consequences, decided to reignite a supernatural force they barely understand."

That stupid fucking stump. Everything always lead back to it. Deep down, Venus knew she was somewhat to blame. She didn't try hard enough to stop Deatons plans, didn't try hard enough to find the Nemeton on her own and now the whole town is suffering for it. Some Nymph I am.

Valacks gaze then turned to look directly at the girl who hung her head in shame. "I expected better from you, daughter of Willow."

The girl takes a surprised step backwards at his harsh tone, shocked to hear her mother's name come from his lips. Stiles took notice of the girls growing worry and steps slightly in front of her.

"How do you even know about the Nemeton?"

"I know because I saw it." He rips the bandaid off his head, putting the gaping hole off for show. The surrounding flesh was still red with blood, the white of his skull shining through the crimson substance and Venus had to hold back a gag at the sight of his third eye opening.

The conversation didn't go any further before the electricity starts to crackle, the lights over head faltering as they turned off and back on in the span of a couple seconds.

Valacks eyes had widened at the occurrence, his stare growing harsher towards the teens. "Who did you come with? Who else is here?"

"Our friends." Lydia replies, her voice shaky, clearly startled at the mans increasingly aggressive tone.

"What are they?" the lights flicker once more and the mad scientist finally comes to a realisation. "You brought a Kitsune."

Without warning, the lights overhead across the whole hallway had burst, shrouding everyone and everything down there in darkness. Lydia let out a quiet shriek as the sparks flew down on them, her hand grasping onto Venus.

"What's happening?" she frantically asks Valack.

"She's disrupting the buildings defenses."

"What do you mean? How?"

"It's not just the mountain ash that keeps this building secure. It's the electromagnetic energy. Eichen is built on the convergence of telluride currents, ley lines. It's what allows it to keep certain supernatural creatures in and certain others out."

"You said the Dread Doctors could control electromagnetic currents." Venus speaks quietly, her head piecing all his words together.

"They knew you were coming." he confirms. "They're here and you unlocked the door for them."