CHAPTER TWENTY

The group had been on the road for a while, the sun had set and the full moon was glimmering high in the night sky, its mellow light flowing through the vans windows

The group had been on the road for a while, the sun had set and the full moon was glimmering high in the night sky, its mellow light flowing through the vans windows. Their ride had been silent ever since Derek cuffed Liam to the bench he was seated on, the younger boy keeping all his focus on trying to stay in control. Isaac and Stiles were sat along with them in the back, Venus and Braeden in the front seats with the latter behind the wheel.

Venus had thought Liam actually had everything under control until his breathing started to get increasingly heavy. She turns in her seat to check on the boys, finding Liam with his claws out and his eyes glowing yellow.

"Okay, Liam, we have a mantra that we use." Derek attempts to soothe the boy. "You repeat it and you focus on the words. It's like meditating. You say the words until you feel control coming back to you."

Liam growls, his hands tugging harder on the chains. "Okay, what are the words?"

"You see the triskelion? I have a tattoo on my back, it's the same thing. Each spiral means something."

"Alpha, Beta, Omega." Stiles concludes.

"It represents the idea that we can always rise to one and fall to another. Betas can become alphas."

"Betas can become Omegas." Isaac inputs, looking at his former alpha.

"Can Alphas become Omegas?"

"All you have to do is recite the three words and tell yourself you're getting calmer."

Liam starts to repeat the words as he was told, trying to go slower as Derek instructs. It doesn't seem to be working however as the boys continues to sound like he's in pain and not anymore in control.

"Yeah, Derek, I don't think the powerful talisman of self control is working."

The boys try their best to calm the boy down but he only grows angrier, tugging on his chains and shaking the whole van, making Braeden lose control of the wheel. Venus let's out a yell, bracing herself between the seat and the door until Braeden swerves them back on the road.

"Vee, you okay?" Stiles yells from the back, not seeing her head through the small holes.

The girl sits up properly, turning back to look at them again. "I'm fine but you need to get him under control. This mantra isn't working."

Liam starts growling even louder, his chains breaking free from the bench. Isaac does his best to hold the boy down so he doesn't hurt anyone, Derek pushing him backwards from where he was sat in front of him.

"Derek, what's going on?" Braeden questions, looking back for a second but not stopping the van.

"I think we need to go a little faster!" Stiles instructs.

"Do we need to pullover?" Venus asks, the van still swerving left and right as Liam continues to fight his restraints.

"We're almost there." Braeden announces, informing them that she want going to be pulling over.