CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

A couple nights later, the pack had crowded around Scotts living room, several copies of the Dread Doctors book lying on the coffee table waiting to be read

A couple nights later, the pack had crowded around Scotts living room, several copies of the Dread Doctors book lying on the coffee table waiting to be read. Since none of them have managed to get past the first few pages, they had come to the decision to completely finish it together tonight.

"My moms book club usually has more wine." Lydia comments, trying to lighten the mood.

"Well, they also probably don't read books that cause violent hallucinations." Stiles retorts, his gaze not leaving the copies on the table.

Scot shakes his head before pointing towards Malia. "That's why Malia's here."

"So none of us go running into traffic?" Kira asks, seemingly scared of the possibility.

"Or worse." Venus shrugs, feeling all eyes turn to her, the girl was usually one for optimism so this was somewhat out of character for her.

Lydia ignored the comment, knowing very well why the girl hasn't been feeling too well lately, picking up the book to examine it. "Maybe I should have my mother read it. She might remember a girl with a tail leaping off the ceiling and attacking everyone."

"If it even works." Isaac scoffs, adding in his usual level of pessimism.

"It has to."

"What does that mean?"

"I think I saw them during my surgery." Lydia admits, her eyes carrying a faraway glance. "When I look at the cover of the book, it's almost like-"

"A memory trying to surface." Theo finishes for her, gaining her agreement.

Kiras eyebrows furrow as she watches the interaction. "Isn't that what Valack wanted when he wrote it?"

"If they did something to me, I want to know what it is." Lydia grabs the book, walking off to sit down and start reading.

Venus grabs another copy off the table, before following after her. "You and me both sister."

Soon enough, every member of the pack had a copy in hand and was sat somewhere in the living room. Nothing could be heard in the room other than the sound of pages turning and their breathing. The book wasn't very long, but it's slow and gruesome nature made it somewhat hard to get through. It had only been an hour when Scott seemingly grew bored and broke the silence.

"Anyone feeling anything yet?"

Kira was the first to answer, rubbing the bridge of her nose. "Tired."

"Hungry." Lydia adds on with pursed lips.

Theo lets out a short, quiet laugh. "I think he meant the book."

Venus threw the papers onto the coffee table again, getting up. "I'll go make us some coffee and snacks."

"I'll come help." Stiles offers, getting up after her.