CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

The minutes turned into hours and the hours turned into days and they still had no lead on Venus. The girl herself had lost all concept of time, she assumed she was underground due to the lack of sunlight and windows. Her idea of time had become when they come and when they leave. When they test her and when they let her rest. Needles and scalpels and blood, that's all there was.

Her body had never felt so exhausted, being around the Dread Doctors for this prolonged of a time was taking its toll on her. Add onto it the amount of experiments they were conducting and the scary amount of blood they were extracting from her, along with the still bleeding wound on her stomach, Venus wasn't doing too well.

She had even caught glimpse of them injecting her with something at one point, and it burned through her veins for what felt like forever. She screamed for hours on end, the feeling under her skin being too agonizing for her to handle for long and caused her to pass out soon after.

They came in earlier that day, she knew because she would count the seconds everyday between when they come and when they go. This time it was different. They dragged in a boy behind them. His screams were almost as terror stricken as her own. The girl could only watch as they strapped him down onto an examination table.

"Hey, leave him alone!" she speaks, but her voice comes out in a croak. "What are you doing?"

The one with the cane grabbed one of the syringes they had tested from her the previous day. The other two Doctors hold the boy down who was screaming for his life at that point, screaming for Venus to help him. Her eyes were fixated on them as they shoved the needle deep into the boys neck and his screams only got louder.

His body arched in pain, his limbs writhing around trying to find any form of relief from what he was failing. The tears were streaming heavily down Venus' face, sobs racking continuously through her body. She couldn't help him. She felt useless. She tugged as hard as she could on the restraints, but her body was too weak to do any damage.

The boys screams began to die down, his body falling limp. Whatever it was that was in that syringe had killed him and it came from her. Another person was dead and it all falls back on her in the end. It's all her fault.

"Condition failure." one of them speaks but her head was elsewhere. The only thing that kept her hanging was the thought of her friends, her family, Stiles. But it was proving to get harder and harder with each passing day. She lets her head fall backward, tears still falling as she closes her eyes and succumbs to the pain.

•••

     The pack was driving themselves crazy. Parrish found out Natalie Martin had checked Lydia into Eichen, Alexander Fiore had gone off the grid trying to find his daughter and it took everything in Stiles not to find him and go along with him. The only people who had seen him were Isaac and Argent, and that was barely.

For Venus, it was another day, another test. Sometimes another kid to be tested on. She wasn't even sure if she was grateful to be alive anymore. Part of her just wanted it to end, the pain and suffering. Yet another part of her wanted to hold on to that little string of hope for a little while longer.

That sliver of hope she felt had grown one night when she spotted Lydia in the corner of the room she was in. Venus wasn't sure if it was Lydia trying to reach her or if she was just going absolutely mad.

"I'm figuring it out." the Banshee spoke. "I'll come for you, I promise. I need you to hang on, Vee, please."

She didn't say it out loud but Venus knew, Lydia had a feeling. A banshee type feeling and it was about the Nymph. Maybe that's what allowed her to visit her that night, why Lydia was even able to find her when Venus herself didn't know where the hell she was.

"Where are you?" the brunettes asks in a whisper.

Lydia looks behind her, startled, as if someone was following her. "I think I'm close. I'll find you, Vee."

Then the darkness took over again.

•••

     When she came to again, the first thing she noticed was the heavy weight on her chest and the beams of sun blaring against her eyelids. Her eyes shot open, irises darting around her, immediately recognizing the blue walls surrounding her and the brunette laying on her chest. Her rapid movements must have woken him up as his body lifts and tilts in her direction.

"Woah, you okay?" Stiles asks, brushing the hair out of her face. "You look like you've seen a ghost."

"How did I get here?" Venus spills her first thought, sitting upright to look at him properly, relishing in his touch across her skin.

Stiles copies her actions, his hazel eyes shimmering in the sun. "What do you mean? You came back here last night, after you left the library."

"I- what?"

"Vee, are you okay?"

Her eyes study his features, his expression seemingly genuine but his eyes that she loved so much looked empty. They didn't feel like the home she was accustomed to.

"No. That doesn't make sense." she shakes her head, pushing herself off the bed. "Theo took me from the library, I haven't seen you since we left the clinic. Then the Dread Doctors were testing me and-"

"What do you mean Theo took you?" He copies her actions again and takes hold of her face in his hands. "Venus, you're here, with me. It must've been a dream. You're here, okay and safe."

The familiar rush of warmth didn't course through her skin when he touched her, further confirming her doubts. Her eyes become watery as she looks at him, remembering every single detail of his features, the placement of every single mole scattered across his skin before drawing away from him.

"This isn't real."

And her eyes open, finding herself yet again in the familiar dim surroundings. Nothing but her sobs echoing across its walls.

AUTHORS NOTE
that was sad, huh?