Chapter 19: Love

Your POV

" So, you and the bard are close friends? " Diluc asked the girl.

" I just met him a while ago, I heard him playing a lyre at the cathedral. " The girl replied, Venti just chuckled.

" Well... Despite only being a passing traveler, you still offered your help to Mondstadt in its time of need. But it's a shame you joined the Knights. " Diluc told her.

" The Knights of Favonius... Inefficient right from beginning to end. And towards the Fatui? Weak and conservative. " Diluc continued.

" Tsk. Forget it. I don't feel like talking about it. " Diluc said and just chuckled.

" Well, he already did. " Zhongli said.

" Seems you don't really like the Knights of Favonius. " Venti told Diluc.

" Just differences in approach is all. I have my own hopes for this city. Now, answers. Why did you steal the Holy Lyre? " Diluc asked them.

" You sure you want to know? It could implicate you all in the affairs of the Knights of Favonius. " Venti said, Zhongli then looked at Venti.

" That's fine. We somehow always end up implicated in all of their affairs. " Diluc said and I just nodded.

" If I tell you the story with a performance, will you believe me? " Venti asked the three of us.

" Sure, it's you after all Venti. " I told him.

" It depends. I'll make my own judgement. " Diluc answered.

" No. " Zhong coldly replied.

" Then will I get paid? " Venti asked Diluc.

" Your reward will range from anywhere between five mora and the Holy Lyre. It all depends on your story. " Diluc told him, Venti then chuckled.

"Very well. Let me put on a show... " Venti said and told us everything.

" So that's why the dragon attacked Mondstadt? It was like he was poisoned and because of that he became corrupted... " I said, and Venti nodded.

" This is confidential information. Why did you let us know? " Diluc asked Venti.

" Why? Hmm... Perhaps the winds are changing, and since Zhongli and (y/n)'s here, what say you, Master Diluc? " Venti asked Diluc, I then looked at Zhongli.

" Interesting." Diluc said. " Give me some time. I'll organize some contacts. Outlander, as one of the Knights it seems you're not a suspect. Blonde is the only description on the wanted poster. You should be safe. " Diluc told the girl.

" As for the bard however, it'd be better if you stay in the tavern. " Diluc told him.

" Haha. No problem! I like taverns, right (y/n)? " Venti said and I just chuckled. Diluc  just groaned.

" Okay. Let's meet here tomorrow night after the tavern closes. " Diluc said to the girl and the flying thingy. When Charles came, we all went back to the Dawn Winery.

" Go get some rest, I'll prepare you some tea when we get home. " Zhongli said with his soothing voice. I nodded and closed my eyes and fell asleep during the entire trip.

Moments later I opened my eyes too see myself inside a room and a teacup beside the bedside table, I extended my arms to reach for it.

" It's still hot... " I said slowly heading towards the door. I can hear Diluc and Zhongli talking outside, but I can't clearly understand what they're talking about. I then looked at the time, and the teacup.

' Is it really true that he spends six hours just by brewing tea? ' I asked myself and slowly opened the door to see no one outside. I went out of the room and saw Diluc reading a book near the fireplace.

" Oh you're awake, it's still too early, I suggest you go back to sleep. " Zhongli said behind me.

" I— "

" Go on, and before that kindly drink the tea I made for you, it can help you with your headache. " Zhongli said while escorting me back to the room.

" Why do I feel like you've been acting strange lately? " I asked him, sitting beside the bed and he chuckled.

" I'm fine, you need not to worry. " He said with a smile, leaning closer towards me.

" Good night, (y/n). " He said and placed a gentle kiss on my forehead, causing my eyes to widen. He chuckled and went out of the door, closing it.

I waited for a couple of minutes and slowly went out of the door. I saw Zhongli and Diluc talking near the fireplace.

" Are you sure about that? I know she doesn't wanna go home. " Zhongli told Diluc and there was silence.

" I wouldn't underestimate her if I were you.  She's stronger than you think she is, Diluc. " Zhongli said and Diluc sighed.

" I almost put her life in danger once, I don't want that to happened again. I know she's strong, even maybe stronger than Jean, but this is the Abyss Order we're dealing here. Not just the Fatui. " Diluc said.

" Why are you so concerned about her? " Zhongli asked him, Diluc then laughed.

" Isn't it obvious? I love her. " Diluc said and my eyes widen.

" Love...? " Zhongli asked.

" It might sound weird but— "

" I see... Is to be human is to love? " Zhongli asked.

" What? " Diluc plainly asked Zhongli.

" Come on, don't play dumb. Because I know that you, yourself love her too. " Diluc told Zhongli, my eyes widened.

" So is the contract fulfilled? " Zhongli asked.

" You're acting so strange. " Diluc told him.

" No, it can't be. For I know that my love for her is not bound by any contract. " Zhongli said and I felt my heart skip a beat.

" Wow. That was deep. I think you need some sleep. " Diluc told him.

" Why do you love her? " Zhongli asked Diluc.

" Same question to you. If you can answer that, then my answer will be the same as yours. " Diluc told him.

" I—I... " Zhongli said

" Exactly, you don't know. Don't worry, there's no need for an explanation. " Diluc said and laughed.

" This is so unlike me talking about this, especially to someone whom I consider as my rival. But whether it's you or me, I don't mind. At least I know she'll be in good hands, unless if she ends up with Kaeya or that Fatui Harbinger. I'd probably pray to all seven gods if that happens. " Diluc told Zhongli. I covered my mouth to refrain myself from laughing.

" But why am I an exemption? " Zhongli asked Diluc. Diluc then sighed.

" Because she loves you, Zhongli. And all I want is for her to be happy, to be safe and to be love like no other. " Diluc said and stood up from his seat.

" You have the upper hand since she wanted to marry someone from Liyue. Hmph. Shame. " Diluc said and started walking away from Zhongli.

" Let's call it a day, I've been too dramatic a while ago and it's tiring. " Diluc said before leaving Zhongli.

I slowly went back to the room as well, but when I opened the door Zhongli was already inside.

" You've been eavesdropping, aren't you? " He asked me and I sighed. He then handed me the teacup.

" Hurry, it's getting cold. Or do you want me to heat things up here for you? " Zhongli asked me and my eyes widen and my breathing paused.

" Wait here. " Zhongli said and went downstairs with the teacup on his hand, I exhaled in relief.

Minutes later Zhongli came back empty handed, " Where's the tea? " I asked him. He then pulled me close to him and kissed me. Bitter yet warm liquid started flowing down my throat.