Chapter 46 - till death do we part

- Helbram Pov -

The room was quiet, until loud and hurried footsteps could be heard coming up the stairs. I wiped my tears with my hoodie sleeve as i watched Meliodas, Zeldris and uncle Ban dash into the room.

Meliodas's eyes were pitch black as he stared at Melody's body, he was speechless as an unbearably painful expression appeared on his face. You could tell he was trying so desperately not to cry. But he was failing.

Zeldris quickly looked away and covered his mouth. Tears welling in his eyes as his face went pale. He too could not bear the sight in front of him.

And uncle Ban was trying desperately to comfort them both.

I couldn't look any of them in the eyes because I felt responsible for her death. Meliodas's head snapped up and his aura became dangerous and overwhelming. He growled and lunged forward, grabbing me by the collar and glaring at me with murderous intent. "You!...you did this!" He screamed at me, tears of frustration staining his cheeks. "You..." His hand slipped from my hoodie as he fell to his knees - Zeldris running over to him as he sobbed on the floor. "But no matter how much I want to strangle you.. I can't bring myself to hurt you."

I held my son close to my chest as I stood up and looked at Meliodas. His eyes were directed at the floor. I had tears coming down my face as I shut my eyes tight. "I'm sorry! If I'd have known this was going to be the result...then...then...then I would have ignored her when she said she wanted to be with me!" I screamed, making them all look at me. "I FUCKED UP AND NOW MELODY'S GONE!"

Meliodas stood up, coming close enough that our noses were almost touching, an irritated expression plastered on his face. "She loved you..." He spoke firmly as he looked down at Micah. "To her there was no greater honor than having your son." He brushed Micah's cheek lightly with his index finger before walking past me and over to Melody's cadaver. His bottom lip trembling a little bit as he stared at her pale face.
Mel hesitantly reached out to touch her cheek, but withdrew. "G-goodbye...Melody " He sobbed lightly.

-----------------------------

- Time skip 15 minutes -

- Helbram Pov -

The breeze was cool and refreshing as I cradled Micah in my arms, the wooden boards creaking every time I moved.
He hadn't cried at all after that. He was completely silent, listening to my breathing and heart beat.

"Helbram?" Meliodas whispered to me as be sat with his face in his hands on the stairs. "Can I hold him?"
I felt a sudden twinge of fatherly instinct in that moment and held him slight tighter, but I was just being overprotective. So I slowly walked over.

"Sure." I nodded as Meliodas lifted his head." Be careful, he's asleep." I spoke firmly as I passed my son to Mel. "If he wakes up and starts to cry then try to sooth him."
I backed away and watched Meliodas interact with his grandson, it was adorable and memorable. I'll never forget the look of pride and joy on his face. He held him so gently.

I forget to describe Micah. He has soft, dark brown hair and fair skin with bright green eyes. You can't really make out any of his features yet and his eyes are still a mix of blue and green. Later on they'll get darker.
The thing I love most is the fact that he hasn't cried at all while being in my arms, he's very soft and peaceful.
I sighed as I combed my fingers through my hair and sat down next to Mel.
"I can't remember the last time I was sitting out here with her...maybe it was when she needed comfort because she couldn't sleep, or perhaps another all together, but when I'm under the stars...then I think about her and it brings back all of the memories we shared together." I paused to take a deep breath. "It reminds me of how much I fucked up."

"You didn't though. No one did. She will come back in a few days, she just won't be...herself for a while." He muttered as his eyes were focused on the sleeping baby in his arms. "She's the Phoenix saviour of rebirth after all and has inherited my half of the curse placed on Elizabeth and I 3000 years ago."

I gasped out of shock, tears falling and mind running. I'll get to see her again..I suddenly choked on a sob making Meliodas look at me, tears of relief tumbled down my cheeks as I nodded and smiled. "It may be a curse, but I'm happy that this isn't goodbye."