Chapter 4

For almost three days, I have been cooped up in the Captain's quarters and let me tell you, it's not fun. I've been pretty grateful for the hospitality given to me as the Captain's guest but there was not much to do. Once, I wanted to help with the crew and the Captain declined, the Quartermaster downgrading me saying I was a woman and I wasn't capable of fulfilling daily task which required muscular built people slash which were men and he went on and on.

Even though I was happy with wanting to do something of use, and not seem like a mashed potato doing nothing, which by the way I hate because I'm always so used to having my schedules full and only time i could rest were the weekends but now, I had completely nothing to do.

The Captain, kindly looked into that and he told me he could lend me his books to read, mostly there were about pirating, tons about pistols and swords, all of which I was hyped too because I always fancied pirates growing up. And little to no books were about normal stories or poems— at least now I know why Edward got this mysterious way of talking which I was drawn to and at the same time irritated. He tend to speak in riddles, see I do that with my college friends to mess up their sweet sweet brains but I didn't do it in a day to day basis.

Here and there, The Captain of The Queen's Revenge would happily throw a riddle towards me and watch me amusingly on what he was trying to tell me. Sometimes it would take me hours to finally get it.

Anyway, back to the books, we read them together, yes! But only when he is free. He's always busy and when I say always, I mean always. He would always be up before me and be with the officers, planning on which route to take, basically I don't know, I've never been in the middle of the sea before. He would have long long meetings on how the ship is going with the officers, who would report how the ship is running on a daily basis, the times he'd come back would be at the evening when things have settled and the ship is no more filled with men shouting orders to each other, that's actually came to be my favorite part of the day. Because I tend to need peace while reading.

In the evenings, he would have dinner with the crew. He once had dragged me to come have dinner with them and let me tell you, it went awful. All of the men were trying to hook up with me, they try to flirt with me, especially the cook and he's down right disgusting. I'll tell you what happen, Edward had to talk some urgent matters with the Quartermaster and left me be with all those sweaty stinky men.

The cook got that opportunity to hit on me and I downright declined him and he started insulting me, calling me degrading names and shit talking women then the captain came back and everyone was back to normal and when I said they were back to normal, I meant; the crew that kept laughing at the degrading names the cook threw my way, that's why.

From that moment on, the crew gave me side eyes and scoffed my way, they even went as far to spit at me. Disgusting!

Edward told me, that the crew was being normal because there was this saying that It is Bad Luck For a Woman on Board The Ship which I think is the most stupidest thing I have ever heard. Being treated as how women were treated back in that time, that was the exact reason I only ever agreed to my parents for Ice Skating at the Olympics, I believed woman can do more or at least the same just as men.

But who am I to say? I'm just a college student, not spokesperson for woman's right.

Anyway, the Captain would come back after the evening meals with the crew and since from then onwards I never ate with the crew again, I ate alone thank you very much. So, he would come back and would write, or calculate, or read a map and plan which meant he'd always be stationed in his desk and I'd just read til I fell asleep and woke up the next day to do the same.