Chapter 40

Silence laid upon that very moment, till he could recall sounds muffled his hearing. Foreign sounds. The sounds he could tell were the rustling of trees not far off, then rushing sounds following. The annoying thing was something beeping close to his left ear and he could hear as a child's voice sang, "Peppa Pig." With an oink following. An angelic voice, too familiar to him had spoken up, "Darling, watch something else...." And the voice of a child protests, "But I like this better!" A little girl he had heard say to the voice he can recall as Nereida, before hearing an soft annoyed grunt "Why are kids so obsessed with this show?"

His brows fluttered open and a blinding light shines on his eyes as he immediately closed them. A warm hand was intertwined with his, giving it a soft squeeze to receive warmth he so craved. Her brows scrunched up in confusion at the small sudden movement and she turns her head to the hand of her husband, twitching a little bit. Looking up the black-bearded man who's eyes were vigorously blinking and breathe unsteadily shaky, "Teach..." When he finally blinked away the blurriness, he saw her, his wife. "Nereida?" His hand reached, taking out the mask. "I- is this heaven?" A giggle escapes her lips, "No."

"Then why is there so much light?" The man questions in a low raspy voice, "That would be electricity." Answered Nereida pointing at the light bulb, running her fingers in his greasy black hair, "how do you feel?" The captain had his eyes on the light bulb in the ceiling on the fan slowly spinning, before Nereida cups his cheeks, making him look towards her, "don't look at it too long, it's like looking at the sun." And again, he started blinking the temporary blindness away. His eyes start wondering the room...all too foreign to him when they landed on a little girl, watching a black box with pigs on two legs, much to his surprise.

"Where are we?" He questions, looking at Nereida...whom now had dark brown hair with hazel green eyes. Same sweet features she had, "Hawaii. In my time. 21st century, 2018" answered the girl. Sinking in this new information before he remembered, "My shoulder hurts. Just a little, nothing to fuss about," he spoke, eyes still darting around the room and the weird gadgets attached to him, "Jesus." His eyes were filled with nothing but shock, as the brunette girl could only simplify his state as either shock or fascination. "What happened?" He finally asks, "how am I alive? How are you alive?"

"I'll explain it to you. Right now, rest. I'll call the nurse, just give me a moment." She placed her coffee on the table near by, leaning over to the man and placing a gentle loving kiss upon his forehead before rising from the blue chair, striding towards the door, "sweetling, stay here, I'll be right back. Okay?" The Yi Tish girl nods, exhausted eyes landing back on the TV, watching her new favourite show after rubbing her eye to chase away the exhaustion.

Soon enough, Nereida came back with a nurse who checks the machines that were running smoothly, with her standing by her husband and reassuring him that she can be trusted. "Alright," the nurse starts, "it looks like everything is running excellent. If anything changes or doesn't feel right, I'll be right next door in touch. It is of your choice as to when you can be discharged but the surgery was a success." She informs before nodding towards the couple and taking her leave. "Surgery?" The captain raised a brow at the girl. "Yes. It was a success." An exhausted sigh leaves her lips, rubbing her eye and taking a seat on the chair. She had honestly thought when waking up, she would be overexcited but she just couldn't stop the exhaustion in her, though to say the excitement was present, then yes. She then started explaining to him of what had happened, when she had flew to Volantis and the mage she had known, which was the same mage who delivered her to the 17th century. When arriving at 21st century, she had visited a very close friend still living Hawaii. Beck Lawrence whom was her ex boyfriend, now loyal friend she trusts the most had really helped a lot to help get him admitted and undergone surgery for the shrapnel killing him, now with it being a success, she feels that she really owes him a lot, though he refuses this. "And the girl?" His blue eyes darted across the room towards the black-haired girl laid on the couch, watching TV. "Who is she?"