Chapter 24

The morning that had followed had been like always, simple. I wake up and drink some coffee, it surprised me as well knowing that there was actually coffee here and now I drink it almost all the time. When everyone had awaken, men changed their guarding positions like night shifts, just to catch the 'spy'. Of course there was no spy but there was a full patrol, along the whole island. I would feed the babies, play and admire them. Then I'd bath them and me to, going on with rest of the day.

It was a bit windy today and i regretted not thing my hair in a bun or something that held it in one single place as it kept bothering me: flying in the air and stuff. Tucking a strand of hair begin my ear, I spoke up, "What happened between us yesterday,  I want to apologize for that. I didn't meant to—" but before I could finish, I was cut off. "What happened between you and I, last night, was not your fault." Says the Captain of the Ranger, walking in sync with me, along the coast of Ocracoke, one hand on his leather belt, the other on the helm of his sword "It wasn't either of our fault. It was instinct."

I wanted to laugh, in fact I did, "instinct?" I questioned, seriously confused about this whole damn thing. "You leaned into me." I pointed out.

"And you can't very much deny the fact that you liked it, can you?" Charles decided to tease me, a smirk curled up on his lips. "You spoke with Teach?"

A sigh left my lips, "I couldn't muster up the courage."

"Hmm. You can break a man's arm, insult them in combat, but you can't ask your husband a simple question."

"You like teasing me. Don't you?" I finally decided to call him out.

"I love to see the frustration in your face, if that's the case." He cockily said.

"Tell me about us then." I shrugged.

"You're asking me, too afraid to ask your husband instead. Makes me wonder what actually intimidates you." His eyes darted around our surroundings, observing everything like his prey.

"Hey, somethings intimidate me." I protested, my brows furrowed as I narrowed my eyes at the man.

"Yeah? Like what?"

"Spiders intimidate me.....Karens intimidate me too..." I started before realization hit me like a bus "Or do they make me mad? no, they definitely make me mad."

"Karens?" He asks.

"A Karen is a term of a middle-aged woman whom thinks she's entitled and demanding, a person who can't mind their own fucking business," explaining to him, "A Karen." I shrugged at the end.

"And you've dealt with them, how?" He decides to ask and I just stop on my tracks, making him come to a halt, looking straight into my soul with that intimidating stare, "I'm curious to know." He shrugs.

I started walking once again, "One crashed into my car, clearly seeing the line in the parking space. She tried to sue me and blame it on me, but thankfully...." There was a brief pause as quickly tried to catch up on him and I did, "Aurora was there and nothing bad happened."

"What would have happened if she wasn't there?" He loved pushing my buttons, doesn't he?

"I would have beaten the woman to the pulp like I did with that cheerleader in highschool." I stated simply.

"You just go around beating people up?"

"Hey, I have anger issues and I tried sorting it out with a therapist."

"A what?"

So, I had to start over and explain to him what a therapist was, their skill, how they help you and stuff, "So you tell a stranger your problems?" He came to the conclusion.

With my brows furrowed "Never actually saw it that way but they are skilled. It's better sharing your problems with someone whom you don't know, so you won't be judge."

"We live in a judgemental world." Charles states, "Wherever you're gonna turn, you'll always be judge."

"So tell me then."

"Tell you what?"

"About us, you said you would."

"I guarantee, I never said that."

There was a brief pause to replay what we were talking about earlier and I just shrugged, "Okay fine. You didn't. Just tell me and put me out my misery."

"You and I....were—" Charles starts off but then a voice startled us from behind, or more like me, "Hey!" Turning, we saw Aurora and from her expression, she did not look okay, "Ro..... what's up?"

"What's up?" Her eyes widened, "What's up, is, looks like you guys forgot to invite me on your little get together last night." Her brows were furrowed in furry, "The fuck are you talking about?" Charles spoke up.

"Yeah, what do you mean?"

"Oh, you just gonna play it out then?" She folded her arms, eying the both of us with a razor sharp glare. There was no getting out of this one..."Aurora, I can explain, it's not what you think." I rambled on. Damnit, can't I just fucking shut up for once?!

"I think it's exactly what I think. You lit the firecrackers without me!" She exclaimed and I shared a look with Charles before we asked the curly haired girl in sync, "What?"

"Yes! You know how much I love New Year and you literally teamed up in midnight, just to prank the other pirates."

"You were up last night?" Questions Charles.

"Of course not. I'm a heavy sleeper. I heard it from Reuben this morning, that there was a spy in the premises but actually, it was not a spy because I caught you Rina, trying to dispose the firecrackers you lit without me!"

"Oh my God, can you chill. There are more, it was only the first box." I tried calming her down. I know how much she loves New Year and fireworks so I just decided to play it out like that "It better be." She sends me a glare before it quickly turned into a spark, "Anyway, congrats. You guys are finally interacting!"

"I actually intended to borrow my friend for a moment, Vane. Because you promised me, Rina." She holds my wrist, "What did I promise you now?"

"That we would fix my hair." I wanted to faint. She can do that all by herself but she's always asking me, "Oh come on.... it's not that hard."

"It is when you have curly hair! Come on." She literally pulled me over to her, about to drag me but I felt a strong hand hold onto my other wrist, preventing us to move on and we look towards the Captain of the Ranger, "We'll continue later then." He informed me and I try retaining a sight before nodding towards him as his touch drifted away from my wrist and Aurora pulls me along with her.

"What were you guys talking about?" She asks me and I just decided telling her what we actually talked about last night, "Nassau. How you find it hard to let go of it." Instead of having to lie to her, I felt guilty enough. "Yeah. It's like a home to me and I just don't get Charles. Just accepting it so easily."

"Give it time."

"You're right." she nodded as we reached a palm tree and she looks towards me, "Now, who's gonna do the climbing?"