Chapter 38

The edge of my lips, crept up into a smile as my eyes landed on the little island I had grown to call home. It had to be the only thing that made me feel safe and secured at the moment as today, by briefly recalling was the same date the sack of King's Landing had taken place- when I had lost my father and in that exact date, my mind always runs wild with voiced clouding it and flashes of that day visiting me. Just knowing that few more minutes and we'd be on the shores of Ocracoke once again, and I'd finally be in the arms of my husband was the only thing keeping me sane.

Hearing footsteps approaching me from behind and I don't have to second guess who it was. Aurora. She and I hadn't spoken to one another after my outburst, proclaiming that her friend was dead and it was just only Nereida... leaving her astray. I felt like a fool for doing that. "I haven't been here for six full months." She states, placing her arms on the helm as we overlooked the island.

"Me neither." And then, a long pause in between us with none of us uttering a word. Giving in, "My apologies," with a sigh, looking over at her and her eyes as well met mine "for my outburst. I didn't really mean it....I just....been through a lot these past few months and I've had to make tough decisions..." Her lips went in a thin line and she nods, "We've all been through a lot, lost a lot, I completely understand." Nodding at her, with understanding. "Is it true what you said?" She asks.

"That....Warina is gone?" I could see the pain present in her eyes and I shook my head. "Like I said, I was consumed with anger, and when I am consumed with anger I say a shit ton of things I don't even understand so myself," I shrug and she chuckled softly, "and like Teach said..." Looking back at the island, "we are of the same person. So don't think I had forgotten on how many boys you hit on prom." A gasp left her lips, "You swore not to tell anyone."

"Trust me, I haven't sold that secret to a soul, sweetness." We shared wholehearted laughs with one another before she questions, "so, what do I call you then? Nereida? Or Warina?"

Giving a shrug of my shoulders, "Whatever you like sweetness. I wouldn't mind." She nodded, "since you're calling me by a nickname, I'll call you by a nickname as well. Samurai." My eyebrows jolting up as laughs escaped my lips, "what?"

"You carry a Katana. Two in that manner. Don't fool me. You've always wanted one." She simply states. "Still friends?"

"The bestest of friends."

_______

When arriving on the shores the men stood in a line. Once they had seen it was us, they muttered amongst themselves and I quickly got off the skiff, leaving Charles and Aurora to the pirates with explanations to them while I made my way to the tent I shared with Teach, right after telling the girls to be beside Aurora and not get into trouble.

Reaching the tent and flapping it open, entering my eyes landed on the brown eyes of Netta, "Nereida..." Her voice was low in a whisper, her eyes red from crying. "I-i'm I'm sorry..." Her voice was shaky as I my feet lead me to the brunette woman and engulfed her in a tight hug. Running my fingers in the ringlets of her hair, "It's not your fault," my voice was soft and soothing as I pulled back to meet her eyes once again, wiping those stray tears, "You did all you could, stayed and protected them and for that I'll always be grateful to you." I let her lay her head on my shoulder, giving her comfort. If she had witnessed the brutal murder of my twins, I did not want any explanation.... though if she did, knowing she needed comfort, I stayed and comforted her. We sat on the edge of the bed, with me rubbing circles on her back as her cries softly died down.

Once she had gathered herself, wiping her tears, I began to ask, unable to wait any longer, "Do you know where Teach is? I cannot seem to find him and I never recalled seeing The Revenge on the beach."