Chapter 12

I left the Tailors, earlier than usual and as I walked through the street, I saw men who looked to be on patrol, holding their swords, some sharpening them, all had devilish looks plastered on their faces— it was pretty obvious they were going after something...or someone, but they must be really stupid to even make it that obvious, but it was unusual and it freaked me out so I decided to walk quicker. It was as if, they were searching for a price to be won or something. With some twist and turns on the street, the sight of the familiar building calmed me down in the slightest bits.

My fingers wrapped around the  straps of my backpack as I entered the Inn, it seemed...quieter than usual. It was just men having a drink with light chat. Something was definitely wrong, the town always felt like it was bustling with so many crazy activities that now— it suddenly became a ghost town.

Quickly making my way up to the stairs, walking through the hallway til reaching my room door, opening it, I saw Ro throwing a fit, packing things, our clothes laid on the beds. When the door opened, getting her attention, she gave a loud sigh, "There you are." She strode towards me, grabbing my wrist and pulling my in the room as she closed the door behind me.

"We have to leave fast. Vane says that the men are hunting him, pack your things, I've already done half for you, you can thank me later." She rambled on quickly, resuming packing before I followed suit, taking our clothes from the closet we shared, "So that's why men were weird on the street."

"The pirates have been pardoned except for Charles and they way he puts it, he has a prise on his head." Aurora rambles quickly and I could sense she was nervous, "Did you speak to Vane?" I questioned, not bothering to even fold my clothes, just throwing them in or stuffing them in the brown leather bag. "Well...."

She was cut off when the a rough thud was heard, startling us from behind as we turned to see the door wide open to the Captain of the Ranger, "Are you done yet?" Charles questions Ro, "almost." Aurora went on saying as casual as she could while part of me was freaking out that Vane potentially broke our door.

His piercing gaze landed towards me. Please don't bring up the matter of disturbing your intimate moment, I'm a really loyal, nice, fun girl! "Do you know how to fight with a sword?" He asks with his rough voice, "I've trained with it before."

"Good enough. You're going to need it." He hands me a sword in it's scabbard, a belt attached to it. Taking it, "Thank you." thanking him politely, "Don't thank me too soon. Rather when you've used it." He deadpanned. I was being polite....

Once we were done, all packed up, I tied the buckles of the belt on my waist. We soon left the room, I attempted to close the door without fully destroying it as carefully as I could. Making our way through the halls and down the stairs, we exit the Inn.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Walking through the streets with a wanted man was terrifying, it felt like every corner everyone was out to get us as they stared viscously towards us as we casually made our way to the harbour. The whole time, I had my hand on the hilt of the sword, ready to attack, even though I went fencing just once, a deep deep feeling raised within me and an unfamiliar male voice which also was soothing kept chanting through my ears.

'Stick em' with the pointy end'

And that served as a motivation for me, chasing away the fear that settled within me.

While we made our way, a group of men surrounded us, they unsheathe their sword and so do we and we stayed in our placed for a few seconds before one is about to attack Vane and he fires his gun, the other ready to attack causing Vane to be alert on his move and quickly respond. Aurora charges at one of the men and fights them to the best of her abilities, which she learnt from Vane.