PART 17

Alex and Jackson and Meredith come out as well then lexie. they stand beside me. the first ambulance pulls in. Meredith and Jackson take that one the 2nd ambulance pulls in and Alex opens the rig as I follow close behind. the paramedic is holding a crying baby as a man im assuming to be his dad follows close behind "my wife she was in another ambulance" "yes shs going straight to surgery, are you hurt?" I ask "my son" is what he said before we all rushed through the door. the paramedic layed the screaming baby on the gurney. "18 month old, contusions, possible head enjury. B.P. and pulse are elevated" he said. I checked this heart "page dr. Shepard" Alex said trying to soothe the baby. he was screaming to the top of his lungs Derek came and began checking the screaming baby "how close to the explosion was he" he asked the father "uh, uh, we ,we were in the living room and his mother was in the kitchen" "the gas line blew" I ask. "I think it was the stove" the father said. "were gonna need to run some test"Alex said over the screaming child. "Karev, l/n. im going into surgery, keep me posted." Derek says. we nod

more beds with people were being rolled in from the explosion.

we gave the dad a work up and then we wheeled the little boy to C.T.
Still screaming to the top of his lunges

we finished the C.T. and took him back to his dad. we walked away

we were standing at the desk I filled in the babies chart I heard his dad talking to him "come on, b. its ok, Brian im here, its okay sweetheart" he tried to soothe him "Brian stop crying baby, I cant. I cant think" he said I walked over to the screaming baby I picked him up and he still continued to cry. "why wont he stop crying" the father asked "woah hey there Brian" I said calmly beginning to rub his back "hey buddy you work out? take care of yourself" I softly say trying to soothe the screaming child. I rub his back

Alex walks over to us and takes Brian. he still screams. he rubs his back I stand there beside him when a nurse brings a envelope "dr Karev, dr. l/n? C.T. results" she said pulling it out of the envelope. we examined it closely "should i page shepard" the nurse ask "no hes in surgery let me take a look" I say Alex Is still bouncing the screaming baby "what do you see" the father asked "nothing acute" I say "hes gonna be ok right?" the father ask "yea. yea. were gonna need to run some more test" I look at the nurse then give Alex a look hes holding the baby he whispers to the nurse "schedule a M.R.I. and have the lab run a tox screen on Brians blood" "why" she ask "because he said so Nancy drew, just do it" I demand and she walks away. "its ok Brian" Alex whispers we take the baby and father up to a room and put him in a crib and the father pulled up a chair "we will be back to check on you in a little bit" Alex said as we walk out.

I get in the elevator and press the button. someone stuck there hand in before it closed. it was mark and lexie with the babies I lean down and see everleigh I play with her hand and kiss her and then kiss Ryker "I needed to see them it made my day so much better. theres a screaming kid and we dont know whats wrong with him." I say as the elevator door closes "you going home to mark" "no im just helping lexie. I have a patient but one of the intern are taking care of them for right now. he was there neighbor said they were like his family. hes got some bad burns" mark says. the elevator door opens and I exit the elevator. I smile at them before the elevator closes. I walk back to my charts that were still open. I finish a couple more charts when I was paged to peds. I get in the elevator and press the Button the elevator closes. dings and then opens again. I step out and walk over to Brians room. he was still screaming. Alex was checking him. I walked in "you paged" "yea" he said. the nurse walked in with a piece of paper. "lab work?" she nodded. I take it from the nurse and exam it closely Alex comes up behind me and his body is against mine. I look at him "its crazy isn't it" the nurse says to us. Alex looks at me "uh yea yea it is" I stutter realizing I was looking at Alex the whole time. "you stay in this room and dont leave that man alone with that baby" the nurse nods we walk out and practically run to the O.R. that owen was in we grab a mask and put it over our mouths and walk in "chief" Alex said "yea" he turns his head to us "the 1 year old Brian Kristler" Alex said "hes strung out on meth. it was a meth lab that blew" I said. everyone in the O.R. was surprised "this woman and her husband are running a meth lab" "y/n, you and Alex need to follow the exposure protocol for children" Owen said "im counting on you to take care of this" he said "got it" I said and we walked out "so they were shooting him up?" I ask Alex "no. when you cook meth, the fumes they coat the walls, the floor. so when the baby walks around crawls around put his hands in its mouth it gets in his bloodstream" he says "so we have to call the police and social services and we have to spread the word" I said "and what about the dad y/n" he ask "social services and call the police is all we can do" I say mentally checking if that was all "we talk care of the baby. the police take care of the dad." I say "alright" he says "oh theres mark" I say as he was stepping out of the elevator. I caught up with him "we have a situation" I say "what is it" he ask "that baby Brian yea he has meth in his system it was a meth lab explosion so your patient was close to it along with anyone else that came in with the explosion" I say "thanks for letting me know" he says and I walk off I see a bed come out of the M.R.I.