PART 40

I rub my eyes and roll over to see Alex he grabs my waist and pulls me closer to him and Barries his head into my neck. we lay there for a while till Derek came in the room "guys. were going to be late" he says. walking away. i wake up Alex and get ready for work. 

the past month we've dealt with the plane crash and lawyers and such its exhausting 

we get to the hospital and Alex has the twins in his arms "hey, I need to talk to you whenever you can its important" I say I kiss Alex "I have surgery in 15 minutes but after that im free" he says kissing me again. I kiss the twins and then Alex gets In the elevator. I walk over to the nurses desk and grab my charts Shane joins me. "hey dr. l/n im your intern for the day" he says 

my pager went off "trauma lets go" I say and we walk to the E.R. him close behind

we grab a yellow trauma gown and walk in. it was me and ross also dr torres and Meredith and Brookes and Owen. 

I walk outside 

the ambulance pulls up "what do we got" dr torres ask. 

the paramedic opens the rig. "unidentified man with prolonged extrication Time, they had to fisn him out of a working garbage truck. multiple crush injuries, open fractures. G.C.S. 3, and we couldn't unhook him in the field?" she said. 

"unhook him?" Meredith ask. they pull the man out. we look at him 

"his femurs broken in half and its puncturing his torso. hes impaled" the paramedic says looking at him. 

"impaled on himself" I say. "human pretzel" dr torres says. 

we take him inside. 

start checking him . 

I check his breath sounds. "breath sounds are clear and equal, both sides. unbelievable" I say. 

"so no punctured lung. we need a portable X-ray and a ultrasound" Meredith says. 

 Jackson and Derek walk in. "someone page us" Jackson ask 

"I did" dr torres says. 

"ive never seen anything like this. wondered If you could help" Owen says 

-

"his femurs in pieces, except fo the part stuck in his torso" Callie says. 

we all stand looking at the XRAY 

"looks like the impaled piece is lodged under his clavicle" Jackson says. 

"c-spine looks clear. without a C.T. its hard to be sure" derek says. "why cant we get a C.T scan?" brooks ask. 

"being impaled the way he is its hard to get a clear reading" I say. "we have a very limited window guys with vitals like these-" "his body wont be able to withstand surgery at all" Meredith finishes callies sentence 

"good think hes unconscious" I say. "we cant do anything till we disconnect his femur from his clavicle" Jackson says. "lets unimpale him" Owen says. "l/n, grey, brooks" hold his shoulders. Owen says. we move to his shoulders "ill hold his c-spine" Derek says. "ill hold his torso" Jackson says eveyone moves to where there supposed to me "as soon as that legs out get ready to assert the bleeding"Owen demands. we all get ready "one, two, there.." they pull. "were almost there. Avery I need you to rotate his knee to my right" Callie says. 

the guy becomes conscious and yells scaring all of us. "push 10 of morphine now!" Owen says. we all try to hold him still I hold pressure on the opening we all look at eachotehr confused. "I need you to calm down sir" Owen says "what are you doing to me" he ask. "sir, can you tell us your name" Derek ask "get out of my face! your hurting me! get your hands off me!" he screams. "do as he says. hands off everybody" Owen says. we look at him confused and we all remove our hands "whats your name?" Owen ask. "Timothy miller" the man says "mr. miller we need to get you into surgery" I say looking at the man. "Im gonna be able to walk? I gotta be Able to walk?" he says. "right now were just try to keep you alive" Derek says. "we'll do the best we can to save your leg" Owen says. "walking is how I survive im homeless" he says. he tells us where he goes everyday at what times. "im homeless I cant not walk! what am I gonna do!" he says "your injuries are critical. we need to get you to surgery" Jackson says. "will your surgery make me walk! then I dont want it!" he says. "you heard the man. surgeries off" Owen says. we look at him likes hes stupid. I walk out. 

I walk down the hall I go to the gallery and see Alex still in surgery. I walk out I find Callie and Meredith. we walk down the hall and see Jackson and Derek "dr. torres please tell me you can build this guy some legs" Derek says. 

-

"well the right femurs toast so Is the hip and Half the pelvis" Callie says as we look at the X-ray on the computer. "but if I put some pins and some plates here I mean there are some viable bone fragments" callie says talking to Jackson "I think its a lot of hardware what the guy needs is a whole new leg." "maybe I can do that" Callie says. writing stuff now "I need you guys to grab every piece of titanium in this hospital" Callie says "okay" I say and we walk out of the room. 

-

dr webber walked in. "I just wanted to check into see how the surgery is going" he says. 

"I think I may pull this off im rebuilding a mans Skelton" Callie says. im standing beside her. 

the monitor starts beeping "hes crashing" I say. "v-fib" "push one of epi. charge to 300" Owen says "clear" I say and shock him. Alex walks in "hey im done with my surgery I can talk whenever" "yea ill find you when im done!" I yell in panic as we try to revive mr miller. 

"time of death 1922" Owen says. I let out my breathe. "I built his bones. all you had to do was keep him alive." she started crying and repeating built his bones. "how about you guys go ahead and ill help dr torres clean up" I say. no one moved "clear out" Owen says. it was me and Jackson left. Callie crying I hug her as she cries into my shoulder. 

-

I walk out and walk down the hall. I see Alex standing at the nurses desk. I walk up to him "hi" he says and kisses my cheek "im sorry about earlier Alex I didnt mean to yell at you he was just flatlining" "how'd the surgery go" "we lost him" I say. "so what did you want to talk to me about?" he ask "oh uh yea I need to tell you something but I want you to process it and not panic please and dont make me panic" I say nervously. 

"hey y/n" Meredith yells. I turn around "the lawyer called they need us down at the courthouse" she says. "ok im coming" I say. 

I turn back to Alex "ill see you at home hopefully. I love you we can talk about this later even thought I need to now but have to go I love you" I say again and kiss him before walking out the door behind meredith 

-------------

IN HONOR OF HITTING 10K READS I GIVE YOU PART 40! I HOPE YOU ENJOY AND I JUST WANT TO SAY THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING MY STORY IN THE FIRST PLACE IT MEANS SO MUCH TO ME. THE NEXT CHAPTER WILL BE OUT SHORTLY. GET READY...ITLL BE A GOOD ONE...