Chapter 63: Clovis

The next morning, I had woken up in Padme's condo. I didn't dare sleep in my own house; I was petty. I didn't want Ani to get the satisfaction he wanted. Instead, I slept in Padme's room beside her. However, she had woken me early for a senate meeting and had invited me along.

I don't usually go to these types of things. I had a history in politics, mostly to please my family, but it was never something I was interested in. I sat beside my sister as she gave her usual speech for what seemed like hours until it was done.

We walked out together in hopes of catching a quick meal before heading back home. That was when he jumped out from behind, startling me. "Master Amidala," Anakin commented. Padme's eyes, including mine, darted straight onto his face. "Master Skywalker. You finally found some free time?" I replied.

We continued our way through the halls awkwardly. "Are you still mad about last night?" he bent his back slightly, whispering inside my ear. "Why would I be mad? I'm not mad," I whispered. I was mad, and it was quite obvious to note.

"Good. Now tell me about your dealings with Senator Clovis." Anakin asked, annoyed. "So you're here on Jedi business." I sighed. His mouth formed an 'o' shape; he was preparing to talk again before I chined in.

"I already told Master Yoda, I don't want to spy on an old friend," I added. "Right, an old friend." Padme nudged my shoulder, winking at the same time. Ani's brows furrowed themselves, shocked at her response. "How well do you know Clovis?" he asked. I stopped in my steps, halting everyone from walking. "I'll catch up with you, Padme," I said, making sure she stepped away from this conversation.

"Why does that matter? That was before we were together before I even joined the Jedi." I was furious, and he could note that. He pushed my body into an empty closet room, closing the door behind him.

"I am just trying to get a sense of who this guy is. I'll need to brief whoever does end up spying on him."

"Oh, I thought you were here to talk me into becoming an agent." I hissed.

"That is not a job for you." He scuffed back. "I don't agree with the council on this. If Clovis is involved in a separatist conspiracy, the last place you should be is anywhere near him," he added. My eyes shock up in surprise. Clovis was a close friend and nothing more. We worked closely together when I was involved in politics.

"Clovis is conspiring with the separatist? Yoda didn't tell me that. I can believe Clovis would do that. This is terrible. I never expected that from him. Someone has to find out the truth." My mind was so heavily involved and shocked. I had completely forgotten about the discussion at hand.

"Someone does. Just not you." Ani said once again, pointing the obvious. He closed his arms together. "Why not me?" I asked.

"Because it's going to be dangerous. Whoever takes on this mission will be putting their life at risk." His voice was furious, quickly leveling up in sound. My body and especially my cheeks began to burn. Dangerous? I was taken back. I haven't been on one single mission since my last interaction with Bane.

"I've been in many tough situations before. It never seemed to bother you. I never stopped you from facing danger. You're constantly getting shot at and blowing up your ships." I seethed between my teeth.

"I've been trained for that since I was young." He shot back.

"You mean, I can't handle the mission because I didn't join the Jedi the time you did." My brows furrowed themselves. I wanted too badly to scream, but doing so in this enclosed closet wouldn't be the best.

"I mean, I'm not gonna let you do it," he responded in a hushed tone. Not let me? Since when did he order me? This time my face was surprised, "You're not going to let me?" I raised my voice at the let. "It's not your decision to make. It's mine."  I added.

"Lucky for us, you've already decided to refuse." His body turned around, grabbing onto the door handle of the closet. "Actually, I just changed my mind. You've convinced me it's vital to learn what Clovis is doing. I accept the mission to spy on him." I blurted out.

He turned his head back around and bit his lower lip harshly. "Even though I'm telling you not to?"

My mind ran back to last evening, his exact words stinging my heart. "Don't take it personally, Anakin. Duty comes first, especially in wartime." I fumed. I passed his shoulders, heading out, leaving him in the closet by himself. I did feel bad, but I knew I had to make a point.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

"First ill need to get back in touch with him. Clovis and I haven't spoken in a long time." I commented. I stood in the middle of the Jedi Council room, staring at my Masters. "A surprise that is, given your past," Yoda replied.

"What does that mean, Master Amidala?" Anakin chined in. He stood beside me a few inches away, hesitantly trying to get answers from anyone. "At one point, Clovis and I were... Close. It was my choice to return things to a strictly professional level to join the Jedi. Clovis didn't take it well." I replied. I was ashamed, for reasons other than Anakin knowing the truth, but because I had broken Someone else's heart.

"Do you think you'll be able to rekindle your friendship with him?" My master questioned. I questioned that too; I didn't know how Clovis would take it or Anakin. I didn't want to hurt him, but my anger got the best of my emotions.

"Master, Senator Clovis is a very dangerous man. If he realizes she's trying to trick him--" Anakin began though my annoyance got in the way. "I'm aware of the risks, Master Jedi. But I know I can regain Clovis' trust." I acknowledged.

"Good. The closer you can get to him, the better." Master Kenobi Voiced. I could sense Ani's anger, and I knew we would have a heated argument about this again. "I understand. I'll do whatever is necessary to succeed in my mission." I smiled and slowly and weakly smiled in Anakin's direction. I turned my whole body around, walking towards the exit door.

"And I'll do whatever I have to, to protect her." Anakin communicated. I didn't turn my back. I continued to walk despite the other words he left to the council.

I knew exactly how to get back into contact with Clovis; a dinner date would be a perfect start.