Chapter 98: The Truth

"They are ready for you," I entered the chamber, followed behind two tall clone troopers—ones who were loyal specifically to the Chancellor.

Ahsoka got up from the metal bench, still cuffed; she tried to wiggle her wrist around to ease the pain the metal strappings left.

"Remember, I am here for you," I whispered as her shoulder passed mine. She was to go first and stand in front of Chancellor Palpatine as well as the Jedi Council. It was in the Senate's hands what they would do to Ahsoka.

The clanging of the staff from the Senate had begun, and her body moved into the center of the room.

"You may now go in, Senator Amidala," The clone by my side commanded. I nodded my head in approval and began to walk into the room. It was bigger than I had imagined. Everyone's eyes stared as I stepped onto the platform. From the tension in the room, everyone seemed to be in a sort of mood. Angry.

Not only could things get worse, from the other side of the room came Admiral Tarkin. He wasn't a fan of the Jedi, or perhaps he wasn't a fan of Ahsoka. Either way, things weren't looking so bright. I stared at Ahsoka, who was surprisingly looking in my direction. I could tell she was annoyed he was even in the same room.

"Ahsoka Tano," Chancellor Palpatine's voice echoed through the enormous room. He stood from his chair, peering down to the bottom. "You have been charged with sedition against the Jedi Order and the Republic itself. This court will decide your fate." He had an evil, wicked smile that disappeared in seconds.

"Prosection, you may begin your arguments." he held out his hand, insulating it was Tarkin's turn to come forward. I wonder what kind of stuff he'll makeup or even the type of horrible things Ahsoka "has done."

He walked slowly, not peeping a word as a probe droid followed him around, making sure everything was recorded for the Senate to hear. They both stared at each other coldly until he came to a halt. Clearing his throat before he began, "Former Padawan Tano, I shall prove that you were the mastermind behind the attack on the Jedi Temple and that once your accomplices carried out your orders, you eliminated them one by one."

I felt the hatred start to overcome my body. He spoke like he knew all the answers when he didn't, or at least I believe what Ahsoka had said.

"When you are found guilty, I ask the court that the full extent of the law be brought down upon you, including the penalty of death." His last words were louder than the rest. My eyes grew wide open, caught off by my such request. I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. Everything depended on what Anakin could bring to the table. Proof that Ahsoka is innocent, or else...well, it's not something I want to come to grips with.

"Now, you may begin, Senator Amidala. Defender for Ahsoka Tano." The Chancellor's voice sprung me into action. Everything I had learned in my years of politics would come in handy. To think my first actual assignment would be saving Ahsoka from years of prison or even death was something I never imagined.

I walked forward to the circular platform before beginning. "Look at the facts. Letta Thurmond called Ahsoka to her cell to reveal the name of the true mastermind behind the bombing of the Jedi Temple. Letta told Ahsoka she was afraid. She told her the mastermind was a Jedi, and before she could reveal the Jedi's name, Letta Thurmond was strangled to death by way of the Force."

I looked around all my surroundings before making direct contact with Tarkin. The built-up anger I had accumulated from looking at his mere face was exhausting. Quickly, I looked away and proceeded to continue. 

"Why would Ahsoka kill Letta with a method that would so obviously tie the murder to her?" I looked up to see my Master's old faces. Directly looking at my Master, who once trained me every day, "A Jedi may be responsible for the murder, but that Jedi is not Ahsoka Tano. Members of the court, you are prosecuting the wrong Jedi." I spoke loud and clear before the sound of dry clapping caught my attention.

"Well done, Senator Amidala. Or also another former Jedi member. However, how can we trust a word of a once dedicated Jedi, who recently turned into a senator? This is your first trial, isn't it?" The smirk on his face was rather annoying.

"However, if she is innocent, then why was she seen conspiring with a known Separatist terrorist, Asajj Ventress?" Tarkin made his words louder and firm. I looked at the council to see the spark Tarkin had glowed inside them. Now they are interested?

"Ventress set me up. My Master will prove that." Ahsoka snared back.

"And where is your Master?" Tarkin asked, trying his hardest to raddle some response from her.

"He's trying to find the real murderer." She replied. Her voice was shaking as if she was nervous, but who could blame her. Being against Tarkin isn't the easiest.

"Then maybe he should be looking at you."

His words echoed once more. I knew his words got to her, and I couldn't let that happen.

"I'm sure many of you look at this former Jedi and think, "Surely, she cannot be this murderer or saboteur that they speak of." Palpatine rose from his chair again, beginning his next speech. "And yet think of all the times we have been fooled by the Separatists and how they have infiltrated the Republic and ask yourself, "Is this yet another Separatist scheme?" Another way to rip the Jedi, and subsequently all of us, apart." He added.

I was surprised, but not at the same time. Ever since I was a child, he was strange. The way he stood and talked could fool anyone. Anakin was very close with the Chancellor, almost like a second father figure. 

So why couldn't he lend a hand to his "favorite" Jedi?

"The members of the court have reached a decision." from the left side stood a senate member. In his hand held a device that would finalize the verdict. He pressed the pad quickly, insulating the decision had been made.

The Chancellor then looked at his pad and slowly stood up from his chair once again. "Ahsoka Tano, by an overwhelming count of--" But before he could say more, a familiar voice spun everyone around.

"Chancellor." His voice echoed through the room. A smile formed on my face, right on time.

"I hope you have a reason for bursting into our proceedings, Master Skywalker." Chancellor Palpatine responded. In a bitter-sweet tone. As if he didn't want the hearing to be paused.

"I'm here with evidence and a confession from the person responsible for all the crimes Ahsoka has been accused of," Anakin shouted loud and clear. Behind him were four Jedi Temple Guards. They had yellow-lit lightsabers and each saber crossed on another.

"Barriss Offee, member of the Jedi Order and traitor." Anakin moved out of the way to present Ahsokas, a so-called "friend."

"Barriss, is this true?" Ahsoka asked. Her voice was still calm and collective. The amount of trust she had placed was on a thread.

"Tell them the truth." Anakin coldly commented. He pointed in the direction of the Chancellor. Barriss stepped forwards, looking towards everyone, making it clear not to make eye contact with Ahsoka. She was too ashamed of what she had done.

"I did it because I've come to realize what many people of the Republic have come to realize, that the Jedi are the ones responsible for this war, that we've so lost our way that we have become the villains in this conflict, that we are the ones that should be put on trial, all of us!" She yelled.

It was nonsense; the Jedi were peacekeepers meant to protect others.

"And my attack on the temple was an attack on what the Jedi have become, an army fighting for the dark side, fallen from the light that we once held so dear. This Republic is failing! It's only a matter of time." She added before Anakin could gently pull her from the side before continuing her rant.

"Take her away." Chancellor Palpatine ordered, taking Barriss into cuffs once more and dragging her from out the room.

The smile that accumulated on Anakin's face wasn't reciprocated onto Ahsoka's. Her face was filled with sadness and betrayal. The ending waves didn't end after this trial; they kept going and seemed to be filled with more hurt.