Chapter 105: Serpent's Skin

I leaned against the door frame watching his breathing rest and slowly rise. He was sleeping peacefully after the events that had just occurred a few minutes ago. Clovis laid in silk bed sheets that Anakin and I shared almost every night. Seeing Clovis lie there instead of him didn't make things any better.

My thoughts were stuck on what I would do next, what I would do with Anakin. I finally learned the importance of what the Jedi held so of value. Attachment leads to the dark side, and I witnessed the dark side within Anakin.

I couldn't just vanish him away and pretend he didn't exist. I loved him. We shared something more than just a marriage, but he had no idea about a baby. It's something I've been waiting so long to tell but could never find the right time even to bring it out. Perhaps I pretended I was in some fairytale, and he and I would finally get our happy ending.

But it was so much more than just that. We both have responsibilities. Turning the Jedi away wasn't something I had done; that was easy. I craved being a part of the Jedi more than anything. Being Senator was never my dream, but things don't always go as planned. So I lean on this door frame watching over the man who had just got a beating from the man I love.

I sighed to myself, feeling the holes start to form in my heart. An aching pain I didn't want to feel. I headed my way down to our second living area. One that wasn't destroyed and had a fantastic view of the city to take my mind off everything.

My heels stepped onto the stairs carrying myself down, when I noticed his body sitting on the edge of our boarding dock. Had he stayed this entire time? The sounds of heels quickly made his head turn, and his body pulled itself from up the ground.

"How is he?" He sighed as he walked towards my body. I stopped at the center of the two couches, not wanting to come closer. "Nothing that won't heal," I replied. I felt my throat start to burn once again. I pulled on every string I had in me not to sob into tears and yell.

"I'm so sorry, Y/n." He begged. He saw the distance between our bodies and continued to walk slowly. "I don't know what came over me." He stuttered, looking onto his fists again. I shook my head, brushing off the images of the multiple punches he landed.

"What's done is done." I held my palm up, trying to stop this whole conversation. I passed his body, heading towards the dock where he once sat. "It's just when I saw you about to kiss him--" Anakin started, his voice lower and sadder than usual.

"And I regret that I put myself in that situation. But it was not what you thought." I turned back around, pleading my case. "And you must know, I don't care for Clovis." I spat out.

"Don't you?" He questioned. 

My eyes widened in shock. If only he knew the things I have done for him. I shook my head, "I've told you many times why I'm doing this, but still, you refuse to accept it. You refuse to believe I'm not capable of handling myself." I felt the tears form once again. Letting one slip before quickly brushing it away.

"You could have killed him, Anakin. You and I both know the force it takes to make it happen. How easily we could fall into the dark side." I added. My breathing became heavier, I felt like screaming, but I didn't want to.

"I know." He sat down on the couch, taking his hand into his face.

"This marriage is not a marriage, Anakin if there isn't any trust." I began. I walked towards his body, sitting right next to him. "We said at the beginning that this would be a terrible mistake," I added.

"What exactly are you saying?" He lifted his head from his hands, looking intensely in my direction. I didn't have the will to look at him back. Instead, I closed my eyes.