Chapter 117: Alone

Anakin's Pov

"Remember back to your early teachings. All who gain power are afraid to lose it." It was like an echo in an empty room. My mind didn't focus on anything else, but the new information I had received.

The feeling of betrayal, by not only the Council but Y/n. I just sat in this cold chair with people I despised. Their laughs filled my mind, but I hate their laughs. I hated these people.

"Even the Jedi."

I turned my head, to focus on the Chancellor. I swallowed thickly trying my best to hide every once of sadness. "The Jedi use their power for good." I snapped back automatically. My throat began to feel like it was slowly burning.

I wanted to inch my way off this chair, of this event, off to her. Just to find an explanation for all of this.

"Good is a point of view, Anakin. The Sith and the Jedi are similar in almost every way, including their quest for greater power." He responded. His lips were smack dry as he talked which only made me more annoyed. I could hear his swallows, I could hear everything right into my ears. His heartbeat if I were to truly focus.

I shook my head, disagreeing. "The Sith rely on their passion for their strength. They are weak and only think of themselves" I scoffed, reclining back into the chair. I found my hands playing with the ends of my robes, have I been this nervous? That annoyed me even more. How weak-minded I was.

"And the Jedi don't?" His white pale face turned to mine. His face had a slightly devilish grin, one I hadn't seen on his face. "The Jedi are selfless. They only care about others." I answered facing back to the Opera. They had just finished another set, and the whole atrium applauded with enjoyment.

There was another long moment of silence between the both of us. Between the crowd, I felt the tension rise. My cheeks began to feel hot, or maybe it was the room. Maybe there were too many people in this damn atrium. I felt the drips of sweat slowly come through my skin. Why was I so nervous? I keep questioning myself.

"You ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?" The Chancellor asked diligently. Snapping me out of my thoughts. I wiped the begun sweat off my hands and onto my robes. I coughed slightly, rearranging myself.

Darth Plagueis the Wise? I thought fast and hard. No. I never heard of such a thing, but I was intrigued. My forehead began to crease as I thought to familiarize myself with the name. Common catchphrases I've heard, I went blank into thought.

"No," I mumbled. I clenched my teeth together.

The awful Opera opened its next act, this time with eerie music. It sends cold shivers down my spine. It was perfect timing, almost planned if you asked me.

"I thought not." He scoffed and grinned cockily while keeping his eyes on the opera.

"It's not a story the Jedi would tell you." He added, his face turning onto mine. I caught a glimpse of his eyes staring into mine. I moved my focus immediately. I moved my focus onto a group of Senators in the next section. They had glasses of white wine, and the ladies would leave their red lipstick on the edge of their cups.

"It's a Sith legend." He began. My eyes darted back to his face, but he wasn't staring back. He was looking back on the opera.

"Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midi-chlorians to create life." The Chancellor paused and looked at me again. He showed no other expression, but his continued devilish grin.

"He had such a knowledge of the dark side he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying."

I weighed that for a second. There was a way to save people from dying. There was a way I could save Y/n. "He could actually save people from death?" I questioned. The opera was still playing their music, but in this instance, it vanished from my ears. All the laughter had vanished within seconds.