CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO: PAST, PRESENT & FUTURE

We're following Bo-Katan to a big conference room. She's sitting in the center seat and it nods for us to sit wherever we want. At first, she only asked to speak with me, but I asked her to have AD and Cal present. I'm sure she wants to know everything about me. And if that's what's going to happen, I want them to be in front, too. I think it's time we all got to know each other better. Maybe that'll tie us up as a team. Because that's how I see us now.

«So? Tell me about you Keirah.» Bo-Katan asks.

I'm taking a deep breath, trying to hide my nervousness. «I don't even know where to begin.»

«This is not an interrogation. I just want to know who you are. Where did you grow up?»

«I was born and raised on a planet called Jalysta, Tycco system, Unknown Regions. A couple adopted me after my father left to join the Rebel Alliance. Only he wasn't a pilot.»

«Or a Rebel right?»

I'm nodding negatively as the painful memory of Gideon revealing the truth about who I am, comes back.

«When I was fourteen, I accidentally heard a woman in the market talking about my adoption. My parents hadn't told me about it yet. I got mad at them and left. Until a few months ago, I was living on my own. And then... a ship fell into the desert near my house. He was a Mandalorian.»

In the memory of that day, a feeling of warmth overwhelms me. Those days seem so innocent. So far away. Back then I was just Keirah. A girl from Jalysta. Nothing more. And everything changed when Mando came into my life. When my father came back.

«The ship was trashed and I was willing to help him fix it. He seemed he just got out of big troubles. As I was helping him we were informed that the mines nearby reopened and let's just say I had a bad feeling about it.»

«And why's that?»

«Because the last time those mines opened the Empire invaded our planet. They attacked our villages and turned them into ashes. And we would've died if it wasn't for a group of Mandalorians. I decided to go find what was the deal with the mines.»

«All by yourself?» Bo-Katan asks surprised.

«Yeah. I mean the rest of the villagers thought it was a good thing but I»

«But you had a bad feeling.»

«Exactly!!! But I didn't go alone after all. For some reason, the Mandalorian came with me even though I didn't ask him to. And we discovered that the mines were taken over by an Imperial. Before that, they had attacked an adjacent village and those that survived had them working in the mines. Women, children, old men. Little by little, they'd all die of aseptic disease and hardship. Those who had managed to survive and escape at the hands of the Stormtroopers had hidden in a shelter on the mountain. We found them and organized an attack. We managed to win but they had taken large quantities from the crystals of the mines. So the Jalystian government appointed us to find the shipment of crystals.»

«Appointed you?»

«The Mandalorian asked me to join his crew. And I accepted. It was something I wanted anyway. All these years I've been on my own. I've been saving up credits to buy a ship in the hope of leaving Jalysta and looking for my father. Even if there was no hope that he was alive.»

«And?» Bo-Katan urges me to continue.

«We followed the tracks of the cargo ship and ended up on a station. But we were abused. Someone was after him.»

«Someone was after him? Who?»

«Just one. And I think you can guess his name.»

Bo-Katan's face gets serious and then hardens. «Moff Gideon!!!»