CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE: MEMORIES THROUGH THE FORCE

As I land on the ground I try to drown out the scream that's about to come out of my mouth. My whole body hurts and I just want today's training to end.

We've had almost three weeks of training, and all that's happening is that Ozdo kicks my ass every single time.

«Get up!!!» Ozdo says curtly.

«I can't.»

«Get up!!!»

We were back to Ozdo's old behavior where he treated me like I wasn't one of them. And as the days went by, I wished I hadn't accepted Bo-Katan's proposal.

As I get up, I pick up the dust from my clothes and look at him in frustration.

«You're not focused.» he says harshly.

«My teacher is not really helping.»

«I'm not the problem.» he insists

«You haven't taught me anything. With Mando, I learned how to fight within a couple of days.»

«So you need your daddy to teach you how to fight?»

His last comment was the free throw. I've taken my knife off, and without him noticing, I'm going for his throat. «You don't get to talk about my father.»

«Seems like he's your only motivation.» he comments impressed by my move. He grabs my hand and we start fighting. This time I'm not letting him beat me that easily. Mando's memory gives me power. A motive. The will to beat him. Show him I'm not that clueless. That I know how to fight. Mando had taught me well. Good enough to surprise Ozdo, just as I surprised Mando at the sanctuary in Jalysta. Ozdo remains to look at the knife between his hips and I smile at him ironically.

«You're getting better.» says impressed.

I lower my knife and put it back to my belt. «No more training for today.»

«You don't get to decide that.»

«I just did!!!» I say as I'm walking away.

I'm crossing the woods as fast as I can.

Kal and AD must be there by now. I hope they haven't started without me.

We were getting better at mediation. The emotional charge of training with Ozdo was leaving as soon as I started meditating, and Kal said we were getting better. He said he could feel us connecting to the harmony of the Force more and more, though he advised me not to pay attention to Ozdo's teazings. A week ago, several Mandalorians started arriving. Bo-Katan didn't pay attention to me anymore, though I was happy about it. From the moment she got the Darksaber in her hands and called on the Mandalorians to follow her, a strange change has happened to her. But I don't understand why.

I reach the valley and find AD and Cal sitting near the creek.

«You're late.» Kal comments.

«I'm sorry.» I apologize as I take my seat.

«We have already meditated.» AD says.

«We're gonna try psychometry today. While you're meditating AD and I will try to find out way throughout his memories.»

I nod and close my eyes.

The moment I closed my eyes and emptied my mind from thoughts, I felt a touch.

The darkness that surrounded me turned into blinding light and for a few moments, I struggled to free myself from the grip, wanting to relieve myself of the confusion that had overwhelmed me. I feel my mind working a hundred times faster as if I'm looking for something. Searching for it with my mind. And then the blinding light disappears and I'm in a room. A child is hidden in the covers of his bed. But he's not sleeping. His eyes are wide open and he's eavesdropping on an intense fight. The voices can be heard even here.