CHAPTER FIVE: UNEXPECTED HELP

Lorgan leads us through a hidden path of the mountain. It's a narrow path that only one person can walk at a time.

Lorgan was going first, then me and behind me last on the line was Mando who was holding the Child in his arms. The light of the sun was not reaching the path since the rocks around us were covering the path like a ceiling.

«The path is carved, isn't it?» I'm asking Lorgan.

«Of course!!! The residents of the villages nearby made it for a shortcut.»

«And the shelter?»

«The shelter served as an early base of the rebels. But it was abandoned pretty soon.»

«Why?» Mando asks.

«Because we're on the edge of the galaxy, my friend.»

Ever since we entered the path Lorgan has his right hand on the rock.

At first, I thought that he was leaning on the rock but after a little while, I'm noticing that he's groping the rock.

A few minutes later Lorgan stops and gropes a dim mark on the rock. He then turns left and walks through a blank space between the rocks waving at us to follow him.

A plain wall appears in front of us. Lorgan approaches the wall and knocks with some kind of a pattern.

A crack starts appearing on the wall and a two-leaved door opens with three armed men standing behind it.

Mando raises his blaster and I'm doing the same.

«Lower your weapons. All of you.» Lorgan says harshly. «They're here to help us Davin!!!» he explains to the three men.

«Lower your weapons.» one of them insists. Obviously, he's the one in charge.

«You first!!!» I'm answering stubbornly.

«We can stay here all day.» Mando says. «Or you can lower your weapons and we figure out together a way to save your people.»

Davin nods to the other two to lower their weapons.

The shelter is a capacious underground construction at the foothills of Mount Dondor. By day the sunlight reaches the shelter through the vents and by night the light of a thousand torches are shining their golden light on the shelter.

The air is surprisingly clean and the place is crowded.

«Lorgan!!!» yells a woman while running towards us. «Where's Gastor?»

Lorgan looks at her sadly. I can tell that he's trying to find the right words to tell her.

«I'm so sorry.» he whispers.

The woman bursts into tears and Lorgan wraps his hands around her.

«They came in the night when everybody was asleep.» Davin recounts. «Quick and quiet. They invaded our homes and took anyone they could to the mines. Those who resisted paid it with their lives. And those of us who managed to escape came here. Some of us tried to get close to the mines and find out what's going on there. No one came back.»

«The Stormtroopers arrested them and brought them in.» Lorgan says.

Darkness covers Davin's face. «What is going on in there uncle?»

«The same that happened the last time my child. They want to mine the whole mountain. But not as long as I'm alive. I wish I could get them all out of there. To save them. But one person cannot save a hundred.»

«We have to do something about it.» says one of Davin's men.

«And that's exactly why I'm here.» Mando responds. He was sitting quietly as Davin was telling us how the Stormtroopers invaded the village.