CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE: CAL KESTIS

We've reached the city, near our ship.

Cal asked us to stop by to get his stuff from the cantina.

AD and I are waiting for him outside the cantina as Cal heads for the entrance. AD is standing next to me with his eyes fixed on Cal's back. He hasn't let out him of his sight.

His suspicion reminds me of Mando's. And as I bring Mando to my memory, remorse appears as if lurking for that moment when I think of him. Him and the Child.

The Child!!!

I wonder if it is alright.

I knew from the first moment I'd miss the Child. But the pain of Child and Mando's absence hurts more than I expected.

I wonder if they miss me, too?

I guess I'll never know.

I wish we could run into each other by chance on a planet. I keep catching myself wishing for that. But what are the chances? None!!!

I just hope he's okay. Both of them.

All the way to the town Cal was walking ahead of us with his shoulders heavy and his head staring down.

Andersan's death seems to have cost him.

I swear I can feel they weren't the first people he lost in his life. He said the Andersans had made him part of his family. I wonder what his story is. But I'm ashamed to ask. And every time I look him in the eye, his green eyes take my breath away.

«I still don't trust him.» AD says glumly.

I take a deep breath, getting out of my thoughts. «I know it's hard to trust a stranger Mando did the same thing to you. But do you trust me?»

AD turns and looks at me surprised by the question. «Of course.»

«Then you trust me when I say that Cal is not a bad guy?»

«Instincts can be false you know.» he insists.

I turn my gaze to the almost empty market square. It's noon and logically everyone is gathered in their homes for food and rest. A gentle breeze caresses my face and gently stirs my hair. I look back at the entrance of the cantina where Cal comes out with a backpack. Our eyes meet and I turn my eyes away in a flash. «My instinct about him is not false. I'm sure of it.»

«What instinct?» Cal asks, and I can feel his eyes fixed on me.

«All good? You took everything?» AD asks quickly, to change the subject.

«Yeah.» he answers while looking around. «Hold on. Where is it? BD?»

AD and I are exchanging an uncertain look as Cal yells.

«There you are!!! I thought you were right behind me buddy.» Cal says relieved as a tiny white droid comes running towards us.

The droid responds quickly to his language.

«Someone wanted to catch you and sell you for parts? It's a good thing we're leaving. Otherwise, they'd be in trouble.» Cal responds.

Now that the tiny droid is nearby, I notice that red frayed details decorate his casing, and his two dark sensors stare at me and AD. Almost like he doesn't trust us. It makes some restless sounds. I guess he thinks we don't understand the language of the droids. At least I understand it. And very well. It's asking Cal who we are.

«This is Keirah and AD. Keirah is the captain. We're going with them.» Cal answers its question.

The droid makes more sounds. Faster and more anxious. It's making it clear to Cal that it doesn't trust us.